• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New chip design by Intel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Snot really low power though is it?

It's just low power compared with the rest of the electric fires they make.
    Fair point

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Is power consumption so important?

For my personally it does not mean much, my desktop has a 1000W PSU but it only runs when I use it - and the laptops that are on 24/7 surely does not use that much when they do close to nothing.
      I think you're missing the bigger picture, thousands of lower power PCs would make a huge difference. I've seen figures which suggest that data centers can cut their power consumption by a factor of 10 by moving to fewer greener servers. This can mean savings of millions over a few years.

And by the way, the pyramid transistor is not a new idea, Intel first talked about it in 2002 according to the article I read.

Comment

Do you need 3D glasses to see those transistors?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
          Is power consumption so important?
          Yes - try getting a blades server, 2U but it will max out power allowance for whole rack (16 amps).

1 AMP of power can easily cost £50 per month, with a poor processor you might end up paying it's original purchase value in power usage over a couple of years if that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Do you need 3D glasses to see those transistors?

Yes just like all the other 3D objects you're missing out on without them, like trees, cows, etc.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yes just like all the other 3D objects you're missing out on without them, like trees, cows, etc.
              Why are they 3d now, weren't they 3d before?

Comment

3D cows were invented back in the 60s, but not economically viable until the 90s.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Why are they 3d now, weren't they 3d before?
                  Why do you think wood comes in planks and roast beef in thin slices?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    exactly

The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Yes - try getting a blades server, 2U but it will max out power allowance for whole rack (16 amps)

Do you really only have 16A per rack?
                      You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Working...
                      X