• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK today.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just you wait

Just you wait till the bin men go on strike. It's probably their turn soon. Some of you can't remember the joys of a Liebore government. I can't help but remember the similarities of the late 70s and present day (minus the inflation - only because they have rigged how they calculate inflation).
    Soon due to the high energy prices, we'll be on a 3 day week.

New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin.
    It took 9 years but we got there ...

Comment

Originally posted by partimer
      Just you wait till the bin men go on strike. It's probably their turn soon. Some of you can't remember the joys of a Liebore government. I can't help but remember the similarities of the late 70s and present day (minus the inflation - only because they have rigged how they calculate inflation).

Doomed. Accept your fate.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin
        New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin and some really nasty laws ready if you dissent.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Most refuse services supplied by councils are contracted out.

So if the bin men go on strike the contractors will just sack them all and hire some Eastern Europeans.

Infact councils don't mind you phoning up and complaining about your bin not being collected etc. so they can have excuses:
          1. To hire another council minion
          2. To give the contract to another company (with the same workers) if they want.

Comment

There was some story running on Coronation Street about the bin men. Any one who follows Coras will know this was years ago. Anyways, some old dear who was stuck for people to chat to, used to chat to the bin men, and related the story in said kitchen-sink-drama. She proffered her own views of the situation, fatally I might add, for her bin was not emptied ever again (she had to use the neighbours) until the bin emptying was outsourced about 15 or so years later.

But that was Doncaster, silly old biddy.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by partimer

Thought the 3 day week was under the Tories!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                Thought the 3 day week was under the Tories!!!
                That's what they want you to think!

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
                  That reminds me of something funny. I fired the cleaners at a company a few years back because they were crap and stole stuff. We got a new company in to deal with it. Guess what happened. Same 2 cleaners turned up a week later with different uniforms.

Learned my lesson then!
                  Sounds like you were taken by the cleaners there old bean ...right I will get me coat...

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
                    But Noddy, What are you actually doing about these things?
                    I'm doing nothing because I'm completing my transition into the middle class; so to fit-in will involve me being:
                    - devoid of passion and emotion (it scares them)
                    - learning not to care, while pretending I do
                    - aloof
                    - detached

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
                      UK urban public space has become very much like urban space in the United States (grotty and unkempt)

Some trends I have noticed:
                      - function always take precedence over form
                      - walled housing estates
                      - unmaintained street furniture
                      - little consideration for pedestrians (pavements that abruptly stop)
                      - primacy of the motor car (although this is a long term trend, it's dominance of the landscape continues no matter what politicians say - storing up problems for the future)
                      - dilapidated road signage and, perversely, in some places, superflouous road signage.
                      - the 'Docklands effect' (1) vast swathes of new build lego houses BUT NOT A SOUL ANYWHERE! (2) poorly designed fenestration; low ratio of windows to brickwork

and finally

- nobody gives a sh!t about these things except me.
                      and Prince Charles
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X