• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So if Iranian special forces, say, were to double tap Blair in the head ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Thanks for answering, good points well made.
    Couldn't figure that one out on your own? Perhaps we need a Cretins' sub-forum where basic questions can be posed in a safe environment without fear of ridicule.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Couldn't figure that one out on your own? Perhaps we need a Cretins' sub-forum where basic questions can be posed in a safe environment without fear of ridicule.
      I was glad he expressed his opinion, he made good points but does that mean I am wrong? Nope. Also you seemed to be displaying sign 1.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I don't think they would want to. Iran is a different kettle of fish than Iraq or Afghanistan, they have a very large army and produce their own arms including aircraft and tanks. The ensuing carnage would be politically unpalatable in both countries, and it would be exceedingly expensive and logistically difficult to wage war on the required scale, we would be talking about a Vietnam sized operation, at least 5x the size of the deployment in Afghanistan.
        You under estimate the power of cruise missiles. Air superiority over Iran could be achieved quite quickly (less than a month I'd say). It would preferably be done with organic air, air a couple of carrier groups in the Gulf would be extremely vulnerable, so you'd have to get a couple of the locals on-side too.

An invading / occupying force would be bogged down as you say, but if you wanted to bomb them back to the stone age, it could easily be achieved.

Of course, that's all bollocks as invading a country for a single assassination is a totally disproportionate response. What would likely happen is a few diplomats would be expelled, and a few spies knocked off quietly.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Most likely Imadinnerjacket would be disppeared both pleasing the yanks and the Iranian mad mullahs
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Signs you are arguing with a moron...
            Sign 3: You are Incognito. (This is 100%)
            So you admit that Incognito is arguing with a moron?
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
              So you admit that Incognito is arguing with a moron?
              If you don't get the joke, perhaps I need to add another few signs.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                You under estimate the power of cruise missiles. Air superiority over Iran could be achieved quite quickly (less than a month I'd say). It would preferably be done with organic air, air a couple of carrier groups in the Gulf would be extremely vulnerable, so you'd have to get a couple of the locals on-side too.

An invading / occupying force would be bogged down as you say, but if you wanted to bomb them back to the stone age, it could easily be achieved.

Of course, that's all bollocks as invading a country for a single assassination is a totally disproportionate response. What would likely happen is a few diplomats would be expelled, and a few spies knocked off quietly.
                I am sure air superiority could be achieved but I don't think it would be a formality. We are talking about a country that produces it's own warplanes, helicopters, missiles, radar systems etc. A lot of it is reverse engineered, but they aren't completely reliant on outdated foreign weapons like Iraq was. They have fairly modern air defence systems, including ones that are designed to target cruise missiles.

They also have cruise missiles of their own, as well as submarines, and some fairly high tech anti-ship missiles, so a carrier group in the gulf would be at considerably more risk than during comparable operations against Iraq. If you launched an operation from e.g. Turkey you would likely see tanks and several hundred thousand troops roll over the border, so you would get a large scale ground war whether you wanted it or not. I can't see any of their other neighbors e.g. the Saudis being keen to host the USAF as the Iranians are capable of hitting targets across the whole region and even southern Europe with ballistic missiles.

But as you say, it's all bollocks because no one is going to start a war.
                Last edited by doodab; 3 May 2011, 21:15.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X