• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET - In the Navy!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cswd
    I'd work out how to blame any problems on the hardware engineers first!
    Well, I suppose you could do that, but my approach is to achieve results regardless or even despite efforts of others.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      My work can be generally characterised as "fit for purpose". Thus if I worked on a nuclear missile I'd focus on (in this order of priority):

a) ensuring that it can only be launched by 200% authorised people

b) not blowing it up in the wrong place (ie during launch thus killing sub and potentially contaminating open water)

c) accurately reaching target - with some hard safeguards to prevent launching at targets that can't be possibly valid (ie London)

How fast the missile will run is out of programmers hands - its the job for missile engineers and it will be pretty much fixed constant.
      Sorry. Silly me. Slapped wrists. Thankyou for providing accurate information. Thank goodness we can rely on such high quality workers.

I will now write out 1000 times: "I must be more literal and not make any attempt at humour no matter how tenuous". Then I will beat myself with Birch twigs, and run a half marathon stark bollock naked.

As an aside, I worked for a year on contract to IBM. What worried me is that the military work was seen as the place to send the duffers: those not bright enough to do the more interesting work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
        What worried me is that the military work was seen as the place to send the duffers: those not bright enough to do the more interesting work.
        Military is very much "do by the book" kind of thing, so its not suprising the jobs there are boring and creative people want to do something else - something where fault tolerance is much more relaxed.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Military is very much "do by the book" kind of thing, so its not suprising the jobs there are boring and creative people want to do something else - something where fault tolerance is much more relaxed.
          But those relegated to military were the ones with poor work, lots of bugs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
            But those relegated to military were the ones with poor work, lots of bugs etc.
            Bug count depends on a resolution of an eye - look at water from tap and you won't see a thing, but use good microscope and you will see lots of bugs there.

Comment

If all the missile guidance systems are going to be in .Net, does that mean we'll have missiles falling out of the sky?

>Location Portsmouth, Hampshire

tulip, I'm working near there.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I thought them missiles with the cameras in them to see where they're going run FORTH (on them special purpose micros built for the job).
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Bug count depends on a resolution of an eye - look at water from tap and you won't see a thing, but use good microscope and you will see lots of bugs there.
                  Grass is greenest in Spring before the storms gather.

Comment

.NET is everywhere.

Even humble household appliances are now running .NET

For example, I have a large lump hammer that is running .NET V2.0

Works a treat.

Comment

Working...
                    X