• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative Vote (AV) Yes or No?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Unfortunately, both systems are flawed. What we need a system where the whole nation can elect the Prime Minister, and not the constituents of a given area where the leaders are standing. In areas where the leaders are standing, there should be a first and second choice, so if their party wins, the second choice gets to represent the constituent whilst the leader takes their time to run the country. Also, instead of the party electing the leader, 2 or 3 candidates (or more if applicable) from each party put themselves forward to the public, and let the public decide on an AV style election.

Sorry, rant over.
    We have never elected Prime Ministers (its one of the reasons why I resorted to punching people in the face when ever the whined that Gordon Brown was never elected) and I don't think it would ever work. We are style on a democracy based on voting for a single party, therefore Proportional Representation is the only logical answer.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      We have never elected Prime Ministers (its one of the reasons why I resorted to punching people in the face when ever the whined that Gordon Brown was never elected) and I don't think it would ever work. We are style on a democracy based on voting for a single party, therefore Proportional Representation is the only logical answer.
      Didn't NSDAP get in initially via PR?

Gonna Google it now - lunchtime surf...
      Last edited by stek; 28 April 2011, 11:01. Reason: wrong acronym

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

You calling Godwins Law already?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

MAny people will be too thick to understand how to use the system.

Comment

The PR allowed the Greens in Germany to get a foothold, and then spread from there. First past the post keeps the riff-raff out.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              First past the post keeps the riff-raff out.
              Clearly not true since we recently had a Labour government

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Clearly not true since we recently had a Labour government
                Wait until you get a Green prime minister.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  You calling Godwins Law already?
                  This fella? Settle down now, settle down.....

Comment

Wait until you get a Green prime minister.
                    I'd vote for her

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

The PR allowed the Greens in Germany to get a foothold, and then spread from there. First past the post keeps the riff-raff out.
                      It's AV not PR, huge difference.

Maybe people are too thick.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X