• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quiz:

you are new to IT and haven't been doing it very long and I ask you to move these files into this directory replacing any that already exist.

would you:

a) move those files into the said directory replacing any that already exist?

or

b) replace the entire directory with a randomly chosen directory from the backups?

and guess what happened to me today? it wouldn't be so bad but the guy doing it must have been working in IT for about 15 years more than me -

when I asked him why 3 weeks of data had just been deleted he said 'oh I got mixed up' - which i suppose is true: he got mixed up over whether he should follow the deployment instructions or just make up a procedure which had very little chance of working- in his confusion he opted for the latter - nearly ruined my weekend!!
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Most of IT is about working with idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
        quiz:

you are new to IT and haven't been doing it very long and I ask you to move these files into this directory replacing any that already exist.

would you:

or

b) replace the entire directory with a randomly chosen directory from the backups?

and guess what happened to me today? it wouldn't be so bad but the guy doing it must have been working in IT for about 15 years more than me -

when I asked him why 3 weeks of data had just been deleted he said 'oh I got mixed up' - which i suppose is true: he got mixed up over whether he should follow the deployment instructions or just make up a procedure which had very little chance of working- in his confusion he opted for the latter - nearly ruined my weekend!!
        Is it b)? No, a)?

Do you want to replace these files or have you already done so? Y/N?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Is it b)? No, a)?

Do you want to replace these files or have you already done so? Y/N?
          imagine I'd never given b) as an option, which one would you choose?
          sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
            quiz:

would you:

or

C) Take a backup first. Then replace the files.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Do this (if Unix)

tar xvf /home/everybodies_work steks_clever_backup.tar

and you end up with an empty file and everyones files totally gone!!! 'f' flag is your backup filename....

Even now tar fills me with dread, I'll never make that mistake again....

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Most of life is about dealing with idiots.
                FTFY....

Comment

Gateway computers (remember them?) were the most stupid people I've ever had to deal with.
                  • PC damaged by lightening strike, so it was replaced by the insurance company.
                  • Insurance company has a running account with Gateway (which it settles at the end of each month).
                  • My replacement computer had a fault and I needed a replacement part.
                  • Gateway said my account with them (actually the insurance company's account) hadn't been paid up in full after x years (as it never is, that's the nature of a running account) so they wouldn't help me.
                  • Couldn't get anywhere with the thick c***s.
                  • Never used them again and always advised others the same.

Whatever happened to them?

Comment

Originally Posted by minestrone
                    Most of dealing is about life with idiots.
                    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    FTFY....
                    FTFY in an annoyingly clever and socially-aware way....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      haha - i tell you what if I hadn't told him to backup first I would be well and truly f*cked! but that was luckily one instruction he followed - just wish he had done it properly in the first place as it was a bit scary for a minute there when it looked like three weeks of data had been eradicated....

Comment

Working...
                      X