• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Stupid people

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stupid people"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Gateway computers (remember them?) were the most stupid people I've ever had to deal with.
    • PC damaged by lightening strike, so it was replaced by the insurance company.
    • Insurance company has a running account with Gateway (which it settles at the end of each month).
    • My replacement computer had a fault and I needed a replacement part.
    • Gateway said my account with them (actually the insurance company's account) hadn't been paid up in full after x years (as it never is, that's the nature of a running account) so they wouldn't help me.
    • Couldn't get anywhere with the thick c***s.
    • Never used them again and always advised others the same.

Whatever happened to them?
    Their boxes made very handy cow fancy dress costumes.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Quite right. I should have said I need to do some statistical analysis of your data.
    Well you could have, but they probably know your IQ wouldn't be up to it.
    Either way you'll get the runaround. Techies have a finely honed nose for BS.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's quite clear what's going on here. The techies have, quite rightly, figured you out to be a bull-tulipter chancer and really, really despise you.
    The phrase "I need to mine some data from your warehouse" is probably what gave it away.
    Quite right. I should have said I need to do some statistical analysis of your data.

Still banging the nanny btw?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Today they are out in force.

Me : I cannot access the server.
    Techy : I can.
    Me : How does this help?
    Techy : Can you access the server?
    Me : Was I unclear in my statement "I cannot access the server"
    Techy : Strange, cos I can.

Me : Hi can I get some data dictionaries / schema defs as I need to mine some data from your warehouse.
    DWHGuy : I cannot interpret your requirements. What fields specifically do you need?
    Me : Hard to tell you that without the schema defs.
    DWHGuy : I can't help you then.

It's quite clear what's going on here. The techies have, quite rightly, figured you out to be a bull-tulipter chancer and really, really despise you.
    The phrase "I need to mine some data from your warehouse" is probably what gave it away.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I'm waiting for the Y3K payout - can't wait!
    plus lots of consultancies are using grads as coders now which is creating another massive slew of fix work, add that to the general ineptitude of the average Big Co IT departments and there could well be a rosy future - of course it will be mainly dreck work but could provide fall back plans so you can negotiate for the more sexy roles better

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Do this (if Unix)

tar xvf /home/everybodies_work steks_clever_backup.tar

and you end up with an empty file and everyones files totally gone!!! 'f' flag is your backup filename....

Even now tar fills me with dread, I'll never make that mistake again....
    There's a worse one.

Using OS X Finder to unpack a .tar.gz file. It doesn't merge directory structures like tar -x does, it overwrites existing directories.

(this information was true several versions of OS X ago. I haven't dared try it since)

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    FTFY....
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    the whole off-shore thing is shaping up to be the next Y2K bonanza (not that I was around for that but me old contractor mates say it was halcyon times!)
    I'm waiting for the Y3K payout - can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Less idiots in IT would mean less work for contractors, so I see it as a good thing that there seems to be an endless supply of idiots
    the whole off-shore thing is shaping up to be the next Y2K bonanza (not that I was around for that but me old contractor mates say it was halcyon times!)

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Gateway computers (remember them?) were the most stupid people I've ever had to deal with.
    • Insurance company has a running account with Gateway (which it settles at the end of each month).
    • Gateway said my account with them (actually the insurance company's account) hadn't been paid up in full after x years (as it never is, that's the nature of a running account) so they wouldn't help me.

They bought Commodore after they went bust showing an amazing lack of business knowledge

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Most of IT is about working with idiots.
    Less idiots in IT would mean less work for contractors, so I see it as a good thing that there seems to be an endless supply of idiots

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    C) Take a backup first. Then replace the files.
    haha - i tell you what if I hadn't told him to backup first I would be well and truly f*cked! but that was luckily one instruction he followed - just wish he had done it properly in the first place as it was a bit scary for a minute there when it looked like three weeks of data had been eradicated....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally Posted by minestrone
    Most of dealing is about life with idiots.
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    FTFY....
    FTFY in an annoyingly clever and socially-aware way....

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Most of life is about dealing with idiots.
    FTFY....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    C) Take a backup first. Then replace the files.
    Do this (if Unix)

tar xvf /home/everybodies_work steks_clever_backup.tar

and you end up with an empty file and everyones files totally gone!!! 'f' flag is your backup filename....

Even now tar fills me with dread, I'll never make that mistake again....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X