• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exercise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking.

My digs are 2 miles from work, takes me just over 30 minutes. Just enough time for the fried breakfast to settle.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      True enough.

I am amazed by people who think walking is exercise.
      Actually, at 4 miles an hour it is indeed exercise...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        +1. A long fast walk on hilly/forrest terrain is fantastic exercise, and a heck of a lot more interesting than being stuck in a gym.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
          +1. A long fast walk on hilly/forrest terrain is fantastic exercise, and a heck of a lot more interesting than being stuck in a gym.
          Anything's more interesting than being stuck in a gym, and many things are much more effective, even for top sportspeople. Lots of top sportspeople have gone back to training outdoors on assault courses, carrying and throwing sandbags and logs, running up sand dunes etc because it works well and is more fun than gym machines.
          Agree that walking on hilly terrain is excellent exercise for all those who just want to stay in decent shape or lose a few kgs.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Originally posted by landl View Post
            I will give you walking in the hills or mountains, but the standard advice that "1/2 an hour brisk walking three times a week" is sufficient exercise is misguided IMO. It's an improvement on sitting on the sofa but anyone who isn't morbidly obese ought to be aiming a bit higher.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I will give you walking in the hills or mountains, but the standard advice that "1/2 an hour brisk walking three times a week" is sufficient exercise is misguided IMO. It's an improvement on sitting on the sofa but anyone who isn't morbidly obese ought to be aiming a bit higher.
              Yep; personally I find it unpleasant to imagine not getting some regular exercise. If I have to rest for a couple of weeks due to illness or injury I can start getting very lethargic and a bit depressed, so even then I'll go out for a walk or a bike ride.

Comment

I had bought a Polar HRM watch with chest band but quickly realised it was fairly useless as you cannot get data off the watch and it didn't talk to any smart phone apps.

I sent it back and bought the Zephyr HXM which is just a chest strap but has bluetooth built in. Got a free android app that is able to communicate with it to get HR. The app also tracks distance by GPS and can be set to read out things like distance HR speed at custom intervals while still playing music.

Will use it tonight on my run before watching the Real v Barca game with a few beers.

Comment

Yes, agreed. 90 minutes of brisk walking a week just sounds like the bare minimum to stop people setting root in the sofa to me.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    I had bought a Polar HRM watch with chest band but quickly realised it was fairly useless as you cannot get data off the watch and it didn't talk to any smart phone apps.

I sent it back and bought the Zephyr HXM which is just a chest strap but has bluetooth built in. Got a free android app that is able to communicate with it to get HR. The app also tracks distance by GPS and can be set to read out things like distance HR speed at custom intervals while still playing music.

Will use it tonight on my run before watching the Real v Barca game with a few beers.
                    Use it every morning for a few minutes while you're still in bed and rested; it'll help you track recovery from training. Find your base resting heart rate by measuring in the morning in bed after you've not trained for a couple of days; a good recovery from training means you're back to within about 5% of that base resting hart rate; if you're 10% or more above it in the morning then you need an extra rest day instead of training. Believe me, training while you're still knackered from the last training will make you less fit.

Comment

I have a Suunto one, it's one of the better gadgets I've bought. I had to buy the PC connecting dongle separately.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X