• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hassle free contracting life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only real problem I've had in over 12 years of contracting is an agency going into voluntary liquidation having not paid lots of contractors (including me) for a couple of months. They had debts of going on for a million (mostly to contractors) only to be able to start up again under a different name and continue as if nothing had happened.

Icing on the cake is I recently found out the liquidators are charging £220 per hour and have racked up 40k in fees so far, with f-all to show for it, apart from to say we aren't likely to see any dividend from what money they do claw back from the directors. Bunch of ******* parasites, just like the agents.

Off to watch 'Falling Down' and 'Exterminator' for some inspiration on how to deal with these *******.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Thats why I only work for blue chips that are unlikely to fail, like banks e.g. Lehman Brothers, Icelandic banks.

Comment

15 years - no problems but big agencies+ big companies which helps. Also, I ain't living hand to mouth and sweating over every payment so that lowers the stress - caveat - if it was a small co/agency I would insist on weekly billing going in to reduce liability...

Comment

No major problems, some delayed payments when I went direct, some fishing, some benchtime but overall its been pretty good.

can't complain
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
          X