• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

James Bulger’s mother: Unmask my son's killers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Like Attention Deficit Disorder, which is really a term defined by bedwetters and lefties to get out of the fact they've failed as parents and what their kids really need is a bloody good hiding and some boundaries.

That what you mean?
    No, that's not what I mean, you see, that has already been identified. But I agree with your description.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Such as?
      Hmmmm, as I said these are as yet unrecognised, and not being a pschoanalyst/psychologist I'm not best placed to start naming them. However, unpredictable violence, oppositional behaviour, sadism etc could well be the result of an, as yet, uncategorised ailment. Autism, for example can manifest differently in every sufferer.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

like the celebrity culture and politics I find it easy not to get too outraged by the press, I do this by not paying attention to them to much

for example when the daily mail/express ran Madeline McCann on the front page for 3 months in a row I pissed and moaned (despite not being a reader of either paper) - I have since learned my lesson and just don't care/take it all with a pinch of salt

its not because i'm anti-social or anything just that it is futile trying to change the state of affairs
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          Hmmmm, as I said these are as yet unrecognised, and not being a pschoanalyst/psychologist I'm not best placed to start naming them. However, unpredictable violence, oppositional behaviour, sadism etc could well be the result of an, as yet, uncategorised ailment. Autism, for example can manifest differently in every sufferer.
          Or due to the neglect/violence around the kid from babyhood.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            By and large all of the symptoms you describe are linked to categorised "ailments" of various kinds already, although most of these are little more than lists of symptoms or behaviours as far as I can tell. There is quite a lot of evidence from twin studies that anti social behaviour is heritable, as are a lot of other personality traits, but upbringing is also a powerful factor.

Assuming that such abhorrent behaviour as in the Bulger case could be attributed to inherited characteristics or some sort of "ailment" that could not reasonably be expected to be overcome with "nurture" even from the most loving parents this begs the question that if people are likely to produce children like this should we prevent them from breeding?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Or due to the neglect/violence around the kid from babyhood.
              I wonder what part of Venables' upbringing gave him the idea to sexually mutilate Bulger with a broken bottle.

Label it all you want but that kind of tulip didn't happen 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                I wonder what part of Venables' upbringing gave him the idea to sexually mutilate Bulger with a broken bottle.

I have to correct you there. These type of crimes have always happened.

40 years ago brings us to Mary Bell. Mary Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very odious, evil double murder by an 11 year old, and the basis for anoymity on this case.

I find the Mary Bell case even more disturbing. She has been given her anoymity. Served her crime until 28 and is now a grandmother.

This was high in the media then. But these types of murder are rare but did happen.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

MF is correct all this sort of awful tulip that your read in the papers, watch on the news etc did happened years ago.

If you talk to any older person around 70 years they will tell you stories of rapes and murders your local area.

The main difference is that we have more news outlets vying for our attention plus people aren't scared any more of talking about things like child abuse in their families, churches etc.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I actually don't think we need to read stuff as explicit as that. I can understand the case being emotive, and being used as part of a general behavioural discussion, but that's OTT.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Actually it did, sometimes; but it (or the gory details at least) didn't get so much, or any, publicity.

I distinctly remember there was a case in the 60s when a gang of Manchester kids tied some string round a 7 year old's genitals and dragged him around, and I think they ended up killing him. But I don't have a reference.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X