• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fungus
    According to BMW he could have turned the ignition to cut the engine but allow the electrics to function.
    BMW bollox as usual. I can only say: try it fsck wits. Consider this chap was a professional driver...

Yes, you can try this at home for a few giggles, get in your car, start it, and then try and switch the key back just one notch, not off, just the one notch. Takes some practice don't it? Now imagine trying to do that when bouncing down the A1, which we will agree is not the smoothest road in the world, at 100+ mph, dodging other traffic and thinking you're about to die.

I really do like the bit about he was forced to undertake another car, and it tried to "close the door" on him. Don't you just love twats like that on the roads.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Considering that he managed to phone the police & the AA, turning the fecking key in the ignition shouldn't have been too difficult...

And above 10mph you don't need much in the way of power steering anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Considering that he managed to phone the police & the AA, turning the fecking key in the ignition shouldn't have been too difficult...

And above 10mph you don't need much in the way of power steering anyway.
        You do need brakes though!

Comment

Once the engine is off, there's enough vacuum in the brake servo as long as you don't pump the brakes.

However once that's gone, you find out how effective two feet on the brake pedal can be...

But since an automatic has a man sized brake pedal, that's no problem.

Remember finding this out in my Zodiac back in the 70s, disks all round & zero braking force with the engine off... scarey. Put me off coasting down hills for ever.

Comment

I had an accelerator stick twice on my previous car, also an automatic, but I was only doing 40 initially, I could put it into neutral and I did briefly turn the ignition off a couple of times to control my speed. It never occurred to me that turning the ignition off might affect the brakes. I wasn't worried about the steering as it was a straight road. I kicked the accelerator pedal on the side and it freed up.

The reason for turning the engine off as well as/instead of changing to neutral is that in neutral rev-counter soared into red zone and I was frightened of damaging the engine.

Both times the sticking happened after I slammed the accelerator to the floor in irritation at something someone had done. I decided to become more laid back while driving. Garage examined car on next service and could find nothing wrong. I drove it for another five years without problem happening again.

I can't understand why he didn't turn the engine off. Lack of power steering makes it difficult to steer but not impossible, and if you're on a straight road it shouldn't be that hard?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Once the engine is off, there's enough vacuum in the brake servo as long as you don't pump the brakes.

However once that's gone, you find out how effective two feet on the brake pedal can be...

But since an automatic has a man sized brake pedal, that's no problem.

Remember finding this out in my Zodiac back in the 70s, disks all round & zero braking force with the engine off... scarey. Put me off coasting down hills for ever.
              I think at 70mph the brakes would be useless in seconds though it might depend on the car. I once turned off my engine while waiting in a queue of traffic on a hill. I nearly shat myself when I discovered that the bakes stopped functionning after a few light dabs. There are some things that should be taught to learner drivers but are not and that is one of them.

Comment

From an alarming experience I had when the starter motor bolts fell out on the M4 in my dad's granada and the battery was shorted out, the gearbox remains in drive until the road speed is quite low, so the power steering still works until you are almost stationary.

As long as you don't pump the brakes, the vacuum remains in the servo & pedal pressure is normal.

Pump the brakes twice & it's all gone... gulp.

Comment

Working...
                X