• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers and Celtic; who's best?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I struggle to believe that anyone could beat many Dutch football fans at bigoted chanting. Just thinking of the 'hamas, hamas, jews to the gas' chants that are regularly heard at matches here.
    You are kidding me? Right?

You want a ticket for an Old Firm match and I will get you one, you have to hear what they sign, each song is about Catholics, fenians or the pope, with 50,000 going to rangers games which equates to 1% of the population it is no longer a football problem and something the elected goverment should deal with but then Kenny MacAskill, the Scottish Justice Secretary thinks the old firm are great advert for Scotland.

This was written by a Rangers fan...

Another week, another excruciating example of the problem Rangers have with a large section of their support. Walter Smith’s team, going into Sunday’s Co-operative Insurance Cup final as underdogs, won quite a few admirers for their gritty 2-1 win over Celtic.
    Alas, no one who was at Hampden Park as a neutral, and who had any understanding of the type of songs that were being sung, could have found anything remotely appealing in the antics of the Rangers support.
    For fully 120 minutes the Ibrox legions belted out stuff about the Pope, Fenians, and some of their other favoured subjects.
    Quite a few of us have become used to “the Rangers problem” over the years but Sunday at Hampden was still quite an eye-opener. It was the consistent, incessant nature of the bigoted chanting that was truly shocking.
    One of the problems we have in tackling bigotry in Scottish football is the sheer ignorance of the subject that we have to put up with. For instance, Kenny MacAskill, the Scottish Justice Secretary, clearly didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, to judge from the fatuous statement he released after attending the match at Hampden.
    After the prejudiced chants had boomed out, the following was MacAskill’s take on the whole spectacle. “This was the showpiece everyone wanted to see — it was a great advert for Scottish football,” he said. “The players, management and fans contributed to a memorable occasion, and I urge that their positive example inside the ground is replicated outside it over the course of the evening and beyond. Football is a force for good in society.”
    Given the nature of what was chanted inside Hampden, this was an utterly ludicrous statement. MacAskill, clearly, is totally unfamiliar with the sort of problems given an airing at Hampden if he thinks that the sort of chanting which the Rangers fans kept up apace represented “fans contributing to a memorable occasion.” This is risible.
    I didn’t expect a Rangers statement yesterday on the shocking tone of their supporters’ singing, and nor was one forthcoming. Rangers’ preferred position on their problem is this: let’s just have a general media silence on the subject, and let’s keep any fuss to a minimum. From Rangers’ point of view, the fewer headlines there are about their problem, the less need there is of any requirement to act.
    But that is a tough scenario to hope for. The Ibrox club have already been censured by Uefa over bigotry, and more than that, a number of Rangers supporters’ songs have specifically been banned by European football’s governing body. So it is asking a lot for every newspaper to turn a blind eye (or deaf ear) towards songs which have repeatedly been outlawed.
    What is more galling for those who want to be rid of this poison is the seeming ignorance — such as was revealed by MacAskill — or inability in government or police circles to be able to fix it.
    Hampden on Sunday rang out to bigoted chanting from the Rangers end, yet the police statistics for “sectarian-related crimes” were paltry, never mind MacAskill’s absurd words about how wonderful it all was.
    This isn’t government action. On the contrary, this is inaction, and even incompetence. The truth is, we are getting nowhere today with the problem of sectarianism in football. In fact, we are regressing, Edinburgh summits or not, at an alarming rate.
    Rangers, in trying to fight their own specific problem, have lost ground. Indeed, if you were at Hampden on Sunday, with bigoted chant after chant ringing out, you would think that the club had gone back ten years in their quest to solve the problem. And for many others, meanwhile, it actually means very little.
    OK, so there is sectarian chanting, they say. So what? What does it matter? Just let it go, let’s just concentrate on the football.
    Rangers lack the guts to truly take on their own support on the issue, and the same applies for the Scottish FA.
    The docking of points really would force the bigots to stop their chanting, and the SFA has the power to do this, but it is too scared to.
    Meanwhile, too many other people won’t touch this problem with a bargepole, claiming the accompanying aggro that comes with such debate simply isn’t worth it.
    So Scotland just goes on living with its embarrassing bigotry problem. Ignorance, incompetence and cowardice ensure it.
    There is a massive problem with bigotry in Scotland and everyone sticks heads in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Yeah I thought that too but it could be skin-tight
      Just hard to imagine even a pasty Scot could be quite so pale.
      Hard core Jocks are pale blue!!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

You want a ticket for an Old Firm match and I will get you one
        Pick me....pick me!! They are like rocking-horse sh1t.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You want a ticket for an Old Firm match and I will get you one,
          Yeah OK, but only if I can sit in one of those posh skyboxes with fit young ladies serving me lots of little titbits and gallons of Pouilly-Fumé.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Pick me....pick me!! They are like rocking-horse sh1t.

I can get 4 tickets and cliphead joined me on the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Yeah OK, but only if I can sit in one of those posh skyboxes with fit young ladies serving me lots of little titbits and gallons of Pouilly-Fumé.
              It is Glasgow, yer getting a mince pie.

Comment

I can get 4 tickets and cliphead joined me on the last one.
                Would love to take you up on that. Might have to be next season now though................assuming that Rangers have not gone bust by then of course.

Comment

It is Glasgow, yer getting a mince pie.
                  Oh that sounds good too; don't go stingey on the wine though. Or the girls.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Would love to take you up on that. Might have to be next season now though................assuming that Rangers have not gone bust by then of course.

Next game should be September, cliphead and yourself are on the dance card for that one. With the tax investigation happening next week...

Comment

This was written by a Rangers fan...

<cut>
                      Dude, I know you lack orignal thought on the topic and are busy copying and pasting all your information from else where on the net but did you know your now even plagiarising your self:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1313538

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1314153
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X