• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Woodcraft Folk of Sandy Balls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    first rule of creating a sock puppet; Keep the posts short!
    . . . and vaguely plausible.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

My brother-in-law Gary knows Sandy Balls. It's a sort of campsite that he took his family to for a holiday about ten years ago.

I'd never previously heard of the place so, as you can imagine, when he proclaimed "We're off to Sandy Balls" I laughed and laughed until I stopped!

Strangely enough Gary never mentioned the Woodland Folk. However an ex-work colleague of mine in the finance industry called Kevin resigned from his job two years ago and went to live on a woodland commune in Scotland. I'd imagine that was quite similar.

We heard he didn't like woodland folk either, so after a week or so he left and moved into a Buddist commune, again in Scotland. He liked that much better, but the lure of mammon got too much for him and he eventually returned to Bradford-upon-Avon and got a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        he eventually returned to Bradford-upon-Avon and got a job.
        Are you a BOA man DS?

I'd like to tell you a little story about Bradford.

Years ago on the crossroads on the way out of town towards Corsham, a fatal car crash occurred. The driver's dog, however, survived the incident and refused to leave the spot. A kennel was erected for poor old Winston and he spent many years on that crossroads being fed by the local residents. At Christmas time, his kennel would be bedecked with cards from well wishers and ISTR he always had cards from the presenters of Points West and HTV News. Sadly he has now passed on but I think you'll agree that this is a truly heart warming story.

Comment

Nothing warms the heart like a fatal car crash, eh.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            Are you a BOA man DS?

I'd like to tell you a little story about Bradford.

Years ago on the crossroads on the way out of town towards Corsham, a fatal car crash occurred. The driver's dog, however, survived the incident and refused to leave the spot. A kennel was erected for poor old Winston and he spent many years on that crossroads being fed by the local residents. At Christmas time, his kennel would be bedecked with cards from well wishers and ISTR he always had cards from the presenters of Points West and HTV News. Sadly he has now passed on but I think you'll agree that this is a truly heart warming story.
            That's the sort of story that makes our country great.

No, I'm not from around there. But I visited once and bought some very nice sausages from a butcher near the town centre bridge. They included Cumberlands, but it was many years ago and I can't remember what other sorts we bought.

Incidentally, there is an interestingly short railway tunnel in BOA near a pretty part of the river. While we were there we sat for ages enjoying the vista and watching out for local trains passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Incidentally, there is an interestingly short railway tunnel in BOA near a pretty part of the river. While we were there we sat for ages enjoying the vista and watching out for local trains passing through.
              That's the little branch line that runs from Bath on to Westbury where it joins the line down to Southampton.

Not much to see these days I'm afraid but they do run a double headed class 31 service down to Weymouth during the summer months.

Incidentally DS, did you see my cricketing post yesterday? I thought perhaps you'd be the kind of chap who might be able to address the questions I posed therein.

Comment

That's the little branch line that runs from Bath on to Westbury where it joins the line down to Southampton.

Not much to see these days I'm afraid but they do run a double headed class 31 service down to Weymouth during the summer months.

Incidentally DS, did you see my cricketing post yesterday? I thought perhaps you'd be the kind of chap who might be able to address the questions I posed therein.
                No, but I have now. I hope you find my responses appealing. That's an old cricket joke by the way. It might go down well with your new cricketing colleagues.

Comment

Ivor is the nephew of Jeffrey Holland who played Spike in Hi Di Hi.
                  I always liked the drunken old soak who ran the Punch and Judy Show.

Bet they all got up to some right royal hi jinx in the Laughing Cow once the cameras stopped rolling!

Comment

Working...
                  X