• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AA or RAC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I picked the AA as they have more vans, it's a waste of money really as I drive Japanese cars.
    I once saw this in a potted glossary:

"AA. Marketing company who occasionally help stranded motorists."

Harsh but fair.

I'm pretty sure that the smaller ones do use a network of local garages. One snag with "relay recovery services" is that they are exactly that - you can end up being passed from one truck to another and it can take ages to get home if you are a long way away.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Having done gigs with both end clients, I would say go for the AA. It depends on what is important to you, but I suspect most of us want to get a patrol vehicle out to us quicker and back on the road ASAP. The AA response times are much quicker (on average) than the RAC and they repair more vehicles at the roadside.

Clearly, for our firends North of the Border, cost may be the clincher.

Personally, I get breakdown cover as part of my insurance as a bolt-on (it's Vauxhall Breakdown which is actually the AA anyway).
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

AA they seem more helpful RAC seem stuck up thier own bottoms
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          My RAC cover is due for renewal soon. Who do you prefer for breakdown cover, the big two or any of the others?
          I'm a member of the RAC and they were excellent when I needed them. Head gasket blew just as I was pulling into my hotel (phew). The car was still under warranty (2nd hand from dealer) so the RAC turned up with a trailer and took it off to the dealer to fix. Within 2 hours I had a hire car to use, as I have the bells and whistles service, so I carried on about my business.

I'm glad I had RAC cover and I'm glad I bought the car from a dealer.

At renewal time I always call the RAC and haggle the cost. They always try to put my 'premium' up by about 30% or so, but I always get it down.

Comment

AA for me on two grounds:

1. The policy I have gives me a hired car if mine is off the road, so always mobile. The RAC cannot do this.

2. I have the breakdown repair warranty with the AA. I think a £50 excess then they pay the balance of garage repairs up to a grand. RAC do not offer this.

Official cost is around £20 a month, but, because I am a low risk user having been with them for donkeys years they whacked it down to something like a tenner a month.

I do not just get breadown cover, I am guaranteed to always be mobile in my car, recovery truck or a loan car

Comment

don't be such a cheapskate!

you are a contractor .. use this
              Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I use the RAC. I used to do some Motorsport and at the time the RAC managed the licencing (ISTR) so it seemed the right thing to do. Been a member for 20 years or so. I have had no problems with them at all but it's not bargain cover.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Stone me.

I've just realised I've been in the AA since 1977.

Must have paid them at least two or three cars worth of money over the years.
                  Be fair though zeity, you have probably eaten 2 or 3 cars since then too.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I follow the advice on Cheap breakdown cover: Roadside assistance from £8 a year... and go for the best European cover - last year it was about £50.

Mrs F has hers included with the car insurance because it's an old campervan which is a nightmare to get breakdown cover anywhere else - insurance bundles it in for £70. Buy it on it's own and it would be £200+
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm with the AA - Last year I joined and got something back via quidco and paid £11.38 a month. This year then tried to increase my monthly amount to £19.30. I called them up to complain so they dropped it back to £11.38 - That covers me and my wife with relay and homestart.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X