• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marquee hire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Got a good friend (I rent a house to him) who has fairly recently started up a marquee hire business with one marquee.

He has not had many bookings, and wondering what he is doing wrong.

He has mailshotted, got nice looking business cards, but still not many rentals.

Any ideas that I could pass on?

I was thinking along the lines of weddings as I have been in a lot of marquees for weddings, so will suggest trying bridal fayres, and wedding caterers. I also suggested when dealing with corporate firms to speak to the people in the contract departments who care only about the bottom line, rather than depend just on letters which may or may not get read.

Any other ideas though?
    Try local rugby clubs; lots of sevens tournaments in may and june and they often need marquees as drinks tents.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Got a good friend (I rent a house to him) who has fairly recently started up a marquee hire business with one marquee.

He has mailshotted, got nice looking business cards, but still not many rentals.

I was thinking along the lines of weddings as I have been in a lot of marquees for weddings, so will suggest trying bridal fayres, and wedding caterers. I also suggested when dealing with corporate firms to speak to the people in the contract departments who care only about the bottom line, rather than depend just on letters which may or may not get read.

Any other ideas though?
      Maybe the problem is you typically need more than one marquee for a wedding. I don't know, so that's just a guess

Presumably your friend would have sussed this if people had been contacting him and turning him down for that reason. Come to think of it, have they been contacting him, or doesn't he hear a squeek?

If people haven't been contacting him, I'd suggest he goes round all the local churches and synagogues etc and pays the vicar or rabbi to let him put up big adverts in the porch.

edit: Another possible reason: You said he "fairly recently" started this business. If that was in the last few months, it has been a bit nippy to spend all day hanging around in a marquee even with gas heaters. Maybe most people book wedding receptions in hotels during the winter.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 21 March 2011, 15:49.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Any other ideas though?
        I would have thought wedding and event planners would be his best contact. Most people planning their own would look in the Yellow Pages.
        Has he got a website?
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Any other ideas though?
          The thing you've got to remember about the marquee hire business, is that it's intense.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            The thing you've got to remember about the marquee hire business, is that it's intense.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

He needs to start canvassing local party organisers.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post

that deserves a doublie

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                X