• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the UK is scrapping the Harrier...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    **OFF TOPIC ALERT**

Did you know the inventor of Subbuteo wanted to call it "HOBBY" but couldn't get the trademake so used the latin name of the Bird Of Pray called Hobby
    I didn't, but it's interesting in one of those schoolboy nerdy ways

Comment

[QUOTE=ratewhore;1302839]
      Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
      Email Kevin Stone, the crew chief of the vulcan to the sky project ..... he will put you in touch with the right people.
      QUOTE]

Otherwise known as Taff when I used to work with him...

...interesting news about them buying a Harrier though.
      Yep.... presumably the Harrier would be a much cheaper daily runabout (than the Vulcan). I think he mentioned the Vulcan cost around 15k a day to run at airshows. Couple this with the cost of getting it airworthy again and getting the original parts suppliers to buy back in to make parts for maintenance, and it gets very expensive.

Running a Harrier or two in comparison would be no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
        Couple this with the cost of getting it airworthy again and getting the original parts suppliers to buy back in to make parts for maintenance, and it gets very expensive.
        At least they have a Haynes manual available!!
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Because the Septics are running everything and they don't like us, especially when we do something that is cleverer than them, eg Concorde.

To be fair, they did buy the Harrier and represent it as US technology (as I noticed when I visited the NASA museum in Washington DC).

As far as buying one goes - no doubt we're shipping the last few off to the remaining dodgy dictatorships we are mates with this week.
          ISTR that the US as NATO partner vetoed our sale of Harriers to China some years ago, then sold a batch of aircraft to the Chinese themselves instead.

Our relationship with the USA is indeed a special one.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

**OFF TOPIC ALERT**

Did you know the inventor of Subbuteo wanted to call it "HOBBY" but couldn't get the trademake so used the latin name of the Bird Of Pray called Hobby
            Yes, I watch QI too
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Let me know when they are scrapping some reasonably good APCs.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Let me know when they are scrapping some reasonably good APCs.

HTH
                You can buy those now.

News article

Comment

**OFF TOPIC ALERT**

you are getting confused. A hobby is a bird of prey.
                  You were thinking of the Italian wine, kestrel. The name was already taken by a beer, so they called it Blue Nun, after a bird of pray

god, im bored

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    Yes, I watch QI too
                    I knew it before QI, but then again I was a socailly inept child and lacked friends so read a lot
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I knew it before QI, but then again I was a socailly inept child and lacked friends so read a lot
                      That and the fact that you're from Yorkshire really f*cks up your chances, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X