• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A 3000 round trip and they didn't even bring any pasta!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    so you are seriously suggesting that the RAF should stop its 3000 mile sorties from home bases, in order to make 4000 mile sorties from Saudi ?

just because the Saudis have a few blokes there who might have worked in the UK ?

you are bonkers
    No I was suggesting that the only practical place outside of the UK that can do full service and support outside of Marham is in Saudi. Incidentally it's not a "few blokes" it's the same large Aerospace contractor that looks after both the RAF and RSAF Tornado fleets which were built to the same basic specs and the training of RSAF engineers and civilian staff is/was done at Marham.
    The supply chains are even based in the same building.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      No I was suggesting that the only practical place outside of the UK that can do full service and support outside of Marham is in Saudi. Incidentally it's not a "few blokes" it's the same large Aerospace contractor that looks after both the RAF and RSAF Tornado fleets which were built to the same basic specs and the training of RSAF engineers and civilian staff is/was done at Marham.
      The supply chains are even based in the same building.
      shsh, dont tell gibbon
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        No, what you were really doing was trying to be the big "I am", there was no need for the comfy armchair remark when there are people on this forum who've served in HM forces and wielded more than a ******* SOLDERING IRON AND A PAIR OF WIRE-CUTTERS!
        You really know so little yet always make sweeping generalisations. I wasn't 'bigging' myself up, but you want to be careful with that caps lock you'll end up having a heart attack.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          You really know so little yet always make sweeping generalisations. I wasn't 'bigging' myself up, but you want to be careful with that caps lock you'll end up having a heart attack.
          Really? So, what were you doing?

You referred to a comfy armchair, I can only assume that you wish to associate that with me being an "armchair" warrior. I assure you that you couldn't be further from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Have the Cypriots refused permission or something?
            The Cypriots do not have a say in it. RAF Akrotiri and the surrounding area (e.g. Episkopi) in common with the area surrounding Dhekelia and Ayios Nikolaos in the eastern end of the island, are what is known as Sovereign Base Areas.
            In short, they are chunks of the island that we did not give back when we granted the rest of it Independence. We retain control of it in perpetuity, essentially as if it were a part of Britain.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

when there are people on this forum who've served in HM forces and wielded more than a ******* SOLDERING IRON AND A PAIR OF WIRE-CUTTERS!
              Cheers mate. Cheers.
              Now if only the goddamn nightmares would stop!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                In short, they are chunks of the island that we did not give back when we granted the rest of it Independence. We retain control of it in perpetuity, essentially as if it were a part of Britain.

Interesting. What are the house prices like?
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Interesting. What are the house prices like?
                  They are not for sale sadly.

Comment

I'm not expecting the RAF to bomb civilians.

You missed the point.

Why make a round-trip of 3000 miles? There are staging points a damn sight nearer to Libya.
                    It was just on the news that they aborted the mission at the last moment because of the presence of civilians.

Permission to use foreign landing strips? Malta is closer than Italy, but I haven't heard any mention of them so far. Malta might not want to participate in case they pick the wrong side.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      It was just on the news that they aborted the mission at the last moment because of the presence of civilians.

Permission to use foreign landing strips? Malta is closer than Italy, but I haven't heard any mention of them so far. Malta might not want to participate in case they pick the wrong side.
                      I think Malta would rely on Faith Hope and Charity

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X