• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The moaning about council tax thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by configman View Post
    The first thing done when a council receives its funding is ring fence salary, bounus, and pension. If there isn't enough left to provide a service they cut the service. The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary. With the private sector rapidly losing or already lost its final salary schemes the councils are opting for strike action if they lose theirs. The same can be said for all taxes and public servants. Council tax is no more than a protection racket more scandalous than MP expense claims - it is being used to give public servants more rights than everyone else.
    This was the true legacy of Labour. It was a transfer of power from the private sector to the public one.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary.
      Thought it was nearer 25% (2007 levels - before the credit crunch hit)

25% of council tax spent on pensions | This is Money

Comment

The first thing done when a council receives its funding is ring fence salary, bounus, and pension. If there isn't enough left to provide a service they cut the service. The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary. With the private sector rapidly losing or already lost its final salary schemes the councils are opting for strike action if they lose theirs. The same can be said for all taxes and public servants. Council tax is no more than a protection racket more scandalous than MP expense claims - it is being used to give public servants more rights than everyone else.

In the last few years I have had the police fail to respond to a fraud and had to take private action, the NHS refused me treatment and I had to go private. My wife was subjected to stalking from her ex husband and the police didn't want to know and I had to take action. A teenager on mobile, and uninsured drove into the back of my staionary car and the police took no action. My car was damaged by potholes, and I couldn't get to work because the council didn't clear the roads. All the while I paid their salaries, contributed to their final salary pensions, and they even got bonuses.

I object to paying any British tax that is being taken dishonestly because it is not giving me the service that is promised as part of that payment. Instead money is being stolen to use for pensions that we are not entitled.

Before the new tax year begins I become non-resident and will no longer for the foreseeable pay any further UK taxes council or otherwise.
        Good riddance
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          Good riddance
          Better make sure the public sector don't go on strike otherwise cannot leave the country

Comment

It provides meals-on-wheels to housebound elderly who cannot cook for themselves.
            It provides day care and/or independent living for the elderly and for those with difficulties and conditions, such as downs syndrome or MS, who have no opportunity to live a life as full as yours.
            It rescues and cares for thousands of vulnerable, neglected, abused children, and prevents Baby Peter or Victora Clombie cases becoming a daily event.
            It provides public libraries to help the smart kids/adults get smarter and achieve a better future, or offer community or cultural courses to enrich peoples lives.
            It provides leisure centres for those who cannot afford expensive gym membership, helping everyone to take part in sport.
            It provides housing for those who cannot get on the property ladder, or the elderly who saw no shame in not owning your own home even if you couldnt afford to heat it (pre-Thatcher culture)
            It controls infestations of vermin.
            That means there is no need for fundraising, charities or even the lottery then?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Better make sure the public sector don't go on strike otherwise cannot leave the country
              I had that one under Thatcher.

Passport office strike when they wouldn't answer the phone, and I could have lost my job if I didn't get my passport renewed.

Hated the lot of them ever since because they could have denied me my livelihood.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                I had that one under Thatcher.

Passport office strike when they wouldn't answer the phone, and I could have lost my job if I didn't get my passport renewed.

Hated the lot of them ever since because they could have denied me my livelihood.
                I've renewed my passport early this time because I can foresee a strike on the way - but your post is good warning to anyone not to get caught out for their holidays etc.

Comment

Working...
                X