• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The moaning about council tax thread."

Collapse

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I had that one under Thatcher.

Passport office strike when they wouldn't answer the phone, and I could have lost my job if I didn't get my passport renewed.

Hated the lot of them ever since because they could have denied me my livelihood.
    I've renewed my passport early this time because I can foresee a strike on the way - but your post is good warning to anyone not to get caught out for their holidays etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by configman View Post
    Better make sure the public sector don't go on strike otherwise cannot leave the country
    I had that one under Thatcher.

Passport office strike when they wouldn't answer the phone, and I could have lost my job if I didn't get my passport renewed.

Hated the lot of them ever since because they could have denied me my livelihood.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    It provides meals-on-wheels to housebound elderly who cannot cook for themselves.
    It provides day care and/or independent living for the elderly and for those with difficulties and conditions, such as downs syndrome or MS, who have no opportunity to live a life as full as yours.
    It rescues and cares for thousands of vulnerable, neglected, abused children, and prevents Baby Peter or Victora Clombie cases becoming a daily event.
    It provides public libraries to help the smart kids/adults get smarter and achieve a better future, or offer community or cultural courses to enrich peoples lives.
    It provides leisure centres for those who cannot afford expensive gym membership, helping everyone to take part in sport.
    It provides housing for those who cannot get on the property ladder, or the elderly who saw no shame in not owning your own home even if you couldnt afford to heat it (pre-Thatcher culture)
    It controls infestations of vermin.
    That means there is no need for fundraising, charities or even the lottery then?

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Good riddance
    Better make sure the public sector don't go on strike otherwise cannot leave the country

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    The first thing done when a council receives its funding is ring fence salary, bounus, and pension. If there isn't enough left to provide a service they cut the service. The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary. With the private sector rapidly losing or already lost its final salary schemes the councils are opting for strike action if they lose theirs. The same can be said for all taxes and public servants. Council tax is no more than a protection racket more scandalous than MP expense claims - it is being used to give public servants more rights than everyone else.

In the last few years I have had the police fail to respond to a fraud and had to take private action, the NHS refused me treatment and I had to go private. My wife was subjected to stalking from her ex husband and the police didn't want to know and I had to take action. A teenager on mobile, and uninsured drove into the back of my staionary car and the police took no action. My car was damaged by potholes, and I couldn't get to work because the council didn't clear the roads. All the while I paid their salaries, contributed to their final salary pensions, and they even got bonuses.

I object to paying any British tax that is being taken dishonestly because it is not giving me the service that is promised as part of that payment. Instead money is being stolen to use for pensions that we are not entitled.

Before the new tax year begins I become non-resident and will no longer for the foreseeable pay any further UK taxes council or otherwise.
    Good riddance

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary.
    Thought it was nearer 25% (2007 levels - before the credit crunch hit)

25% of council tax spent on pensions | This is Money

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The first thing done when a council receives its funding is ring fence salary, bounus, and pension. If there isn't enough left to provide a service they cut the service. The first 20% of any council tax goes on protecting final salary pension schemes, bonus, and salary. With the private sector rapidly losing or already lost its final salary schemes the councils are opting for strike action if they lose theirs. The same can be said for all taxes and public servants. Council tax is no more than a protection racket more scandalous than MP expense claims - it is being used to give public servants more rights than everyone else.
    This was the true legacy of Labour. It was a transfer of power from the private sector to the public one.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I think if you looked at the breakdown, you may find out that these items account for a much smaller slice of the council tax pie than you imagine - over 50% of our council tax for instance is used to fund Housing and Council Tax Benefit Awarded.

Some of the regular services that people normally associate with the council tax have actually decreased over the decade, housing and council tax benefit awarded however is not one of them as it is the primary driver for our continual rising council tax (11% increase this year).
    About 20 years ago one large council crossed the threashold where they were paying out more in pensions than salaries.

Don't forget to count the teachers in your area. I was really surprised how many there were in the last place I lived in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    How to follow such a me-me-me post?

The money paid in council tax (nothing to do with the NHS or Police which are centrally funded) goes to help people in the society to which you belong, no matter how much you like to think you bear no social responsibility.

It provides meals-on-wheels to housebound elderly who cannot cook for themselves.
    It provides day care and/or independent living for the elderly and for those with difficulties and conditions, such as downs syndrome or MS, who have no opportunity to live a life as full as yours.
    It rescues and cares for thousands of vulnerable, neglected, abused children, and prevents Baby Peter or Victora Clombie cases becoming a daily event.
    It provides public libraries to help the smart kids/adults get smarter and achieve a better future, or offer community or cultural courses to enrich peoples lives.
    It provides leisure centres for those who cannot afford expensive gym membership, helping everyone to take part in sport.
    It provides housing for those who cannot get on the property ladder, or the elderly who saw no shame in not owning your own home even if you couldnt afford to heat it (pre-Thatcher culture)

Local government workers aren't earning contractor rates and these days they are just as easily benched. Someone who has to wipe old people's butts or remove rat carcasses all day, or take abuse from teenagers and their parents without retaliation, deserves their pension far more than some Armarni wearing p*** sat behind a monitor all day.
    You mentioned all the services now being cut to protect the public sector pensions and if you read my post properly I referred to all taxes not just council. How can you claim that the money goes to help people in society when it is not? As I said I was refused police help and medical care when needed - not just me plenty of other people can lay claim to that too. Police funding has a significant contribution from the council tax look at the breakdown of your council tax. It is true that a lot of public sector workers are not on contractor rates - but their leaders far exceed contractor rates. A lot of the others are well paid doing non-jobs for 30K plus per year.

It is the public sector workers making the cuts in preference to there own lifestyle - it is they who have the me me me's. All I do is defend myself from being told I have to pay into a society that will look after me when I need it - when I have seen evidence that it will not.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    I object to paying any British tax that is being taken dishonestly because it is not giving me the service that is promised as part of that payment.
    How to follow such a me-me-me post?

The money paid in council tax (nothing to do with the NHS or Police which are centrally funded) goes to help people in the society to which you belong, no matter how much you like to think you bear no social responsibility.

Local government workers aren't earning contractor rates and these days they are just as easily benched. Someone who has to wipe old people's butts or remove rat carcasses all day, or take abuse from teenagers and their parents without retaliation, deserves their pension far more than some Armarni wearing p*** sat behind a monitor all day.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Band G.

Please cough up £2529.69.
    Think yourself lucky you're not paying Land Value Tax instead.

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    I think if you looked at the breakdown, you may find out that these items account for a much smaller slice of the council tax pie than you imagine - over 50% of our council tax for instance is used to fund Housing and Council Tax Benefit Awarded.

Some of the regular services that people normally associate with the council tax have actually decreased over the decade, housing and council tax benefit awarded however is not one of them as it is the primary driver for our continual rising council tax (11% increase this year).

In the last few years I have had the police fail to respond to a fraud and had to take private action, the NHS refused me treatment and I had to go private. My wife was subjected to stalking from her ex husband and the police didn't want to know and I had to take action. A teenager on mobile, and uninsured drove into the back of my staionary car and the police took no action. My car was damaged by potholes, and I couldn't get to work because the council didn't clear the roads. All the while I paid their salaries, contributed to their final salary pensions, and they even got bonuses.

I object to paying any British tax that is being taken dishonestly because it is not giving me the service that is promised as part of that payment. Instead money is being stolen to use for pensions that we are not entitled.

Before the new tax year begins I become non-resident and will no longer for the foreseeable pay any further UK taxes council or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Band G.

Please cough up £2529.69.

I'd take the money in person if there was no risk of my car falling down a 5 foot deep pothole and some of the street lamps worked.

Overpaid council s

Do you live in Edinburgh too?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

I'm not sure where you are getting this from but Housing/ CT benefit doesn't come out of your council tax, it's a central benefit administered by your LA out of the central grant.

Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit subsidy – FAQs - DWP

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    My council tax (band G) is almost exactly the same as I billed for five days at my last contract rate. I'm pretty much OK with five days work to pay for bins , schools, libraries, local roads, parks and what ever else they claim to do with the dosh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X