• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Won't happen in my lifetime...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the chances of the real thing are fast receding, I doubt I'll experience Sensurround virtual sex with Kylie Minogue.

Or Audrey Tautou.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      It's time we moved on from this obsession with moonbases and supersonic travel and so on. In the 1950s, that was the vision of the future. Then it happened. Now, for us, it's a memory of the past. You might as well complain that no one goes sailing across the Atlantic in little wooden ships to colonise South America any more. Or that no one is building watermills these days. It's been done and we're spending our time and money on other things now.
      Dang's right.

If we spend too much time being obsessed with the past, then we'll neglect the present.

What Dang forgot to add, so I shall add for him, is that if we spend too much time on the here and now, we also lose focus on the future too.

And the future is getting our sorry backsides off this little old rock called Earth, because eventually, there will be an ELE (Extinction Level Event) that will wipe the planet out. Discounting earthborne pandemics, wars, mega lava flows, and so on, and also discounting events such as asteroid strikes, etc ; the Sun will eventually go super nova and that's a given.

If mankind's prime directive is to survive (and reproduce), like most other biological organisms, then it is imperative that we strive to disperse across the universe.

Dang is right.

Looking back is nostalgic, looking to the present is pragmatic, but looking to the future is prudent.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
      X