• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of Nuclear power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Does binge drinking make your hair fall out?
    Depends what you drink. Too many pints of Doctor Magloo's Amber Enema and your hair is the least of your worries.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Many of the problems were preventable. The Japanese practices were plain stupid, close packing of spent materials all round the reactor, and why not put the reactors themselves below sea level to allow flooding if necessary?

Green generation "solutions" are not solutions at all, they are unreliable, hugely expensive and themselves very damaging to the environment. The number of deaths worlwide directly from accidents in the oil and coal industries plus indirectly from pollution due to burning fossil fuels is huge.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Quiet.

A few nuclear reactors next to each other proper blown up, workers struggle to cool them for days - finally have to leave because radiation will pretty much kill them in a few hours (like those who were send to deal with Chernobyl with spades without explanations). The crisis still continues and there is no obvious end to it anytime soon.

So this makes my position is indefensible but the guys who claim "it's all right they will just die 2 years earlier" have perfectly defensible point of view.

Do you read the Daily Mail?

Your grasp of reality is shocking for somebody who manages to run a seemingly successful business.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Well, so far it seems that, whatever "plain stupid" practices they were employing, a nuclear installation located close to the epicentre of the largest quake ever measured in Japan has survived with no major loss of life or radioactive catastrophe. Obviously it isn't "nothing to worry about" but it's not conclusive evidence that nuclear power is a disaster waiting to happen either, although the media have had a field day with it and will no doubt continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully everything will start to look a little less bleak once power is restored...

BBC News - Japan quake: Power line laid to Fukushima nuclear plant
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Do you read the Daily Mail?
            No. But he looks at the pictures.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Well, so far it seems that, whatever "plain stupid" practices they were employing, a nuclear installation located close to the epicentre of the largest quake ever measured in Japan has survived with no major loss of life or radioactive catastrophe. Obviously it isn't "nothing to worry about" but it's not conclusive evidence that nuclear power is a disaster waiting to happen either, although the media have had a field day with it and will no doubt continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully everything will start to look a little less bleak once power is restored...

BBC News - Japan quake: Power line laid to Fukushima nuclear plant
              hah. a red herring.

a lot of things are done with an eyeball on what will happen if it all goes horribly wrong. Most things are built to be fail safe.
              just because the stations have failed safely so far, is no reason to get cocky. they should have, and the fact that there is any doubt is the real concern

apart from that, I too am optimistic

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Japan tsunami: Fukushima Fifty 'on suicide mission' to battle nuclear meltdown | Mail Online

Brave people. They will be remembered. Unlike those who claim they'll just lose "2 years of their life".

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Japan tsunami: Fukushima Fifty 'on suicide mission' to battle nuclear meltdown | Mail Online

Brave people. They will be remembered. Unlike those who claim they'll just lose "2 years of their life".

You might like to get your news from a less crap source.

Progress by on-site workers
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    You might like to get your news from a less crap source.

Progress by on-site workers
                    A Tepco worker was taken to hospital after collapsing and experiencing chest pains.
                    Hmm, could be anything.

Two Tepco workers felt ill whilst working in the control rooms of Fukushima Daiichi
                    Food poisoning?

One Tepco worker working within the reactor building of Fukushima Daiichi unit 3 during "vent work" was taken to hospital after receiving radiation exposure exceeding 100 mSv, a level deemed acceptable in emergency situations by some national nuclear safety regulators.
                    "Over 100", probably 101.

An unspecified number of firemen who were exposed to radiation are under investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      I agree with George on this. Well not all of it, but the general thrust that Nuclear is still cleaner and safer than coal.

Japan nuclear crisis should not carry weight in atomic energy debate | George Monbiot | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Heap loads of hysteria in most newspapers, especially the German newspapers, who are now expecting Tsunami's to go sweeping across their landlocked country.
                      Let's recap the death toll of this catastrophe is ?

The answer is 0.

The 50 workers have been subjected to no more than twice the normal dose they get anyway.

...and the radioactivity, all short bursts that decay due to irradiated steam.

May I suggest that those workers who smoke, stop smoking and then increase their life expectancy by about 15 years. I think 40% of the Japanese population smoke.
                      Germany has had problems with major floods in the past. Different, but worth considering nonetheless.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X