• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Libya no fly zone thing..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting clip on the Beeb this morning. They're showing a fighter plane crashing near Benghazi. No idea what caused it - I couldn't see any missiles on the clip. Maybe we have a new super weapon that can take out opposition planes at will - and this morning we demonstrated to the Libyan regime that we're capable of this? (or maybe it was just a pilot junking his plane rather than bomb his countrymen)
    Edit: Sky News are reporting it was shot down by the rebels.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I couldn't see a missile either, but it did explode in mid air.

It's looking like the no-fly zone is sort of maybe getting going any day now.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Yeah, just a few more meetings to ensure all the UN countries are 'singing from the same hymn sheet'. They're delayed until the tea and biscuit supply is topped up.

Exactly this reason why commitees make things worse not better. If the UN was a dictatorship they'd have nuked gadaffi by now. Job done.

That'd take the Libyans minds off the rebels, just like Fcukashima is taking the international community's minds off the real tradgedy happening in Japan. The water soaked one.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

From the BBC

A jet also appears to have been shot down over Benghazi. A rebel spokesman was quoted as saying the downed jet was a rebel plane which had been shot down by pro-government forces

Given the French have started sorties - I wonder if the Rebels have just shot down a French plane ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
            From the BBC

A jet also appears to have been shot down over Benghazi. A rebel spokesman was quoted as saying the downed jet was a rebel plane which had been shot down by pro-government forces

Given the French have started sorties - I wonder if the Rebels have just shot down a French plane ?
            the fact that the plane was on its own is significant. In the west, they sortie in twos at least
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So did that plane belong to the Rebels (al queda?) ?

The same group who declared 3 weeks ago - there would be no foreign intervention in Libya ?

Interesting to read the following note from Gadhafi to Oboma

But Gadhafi defended his actions in his note to Obama. He said his opponents are from al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the group's North African wing, and asked Obama what he would do if such an armed movement controlled American cities.

"Tell me, how would you behave so I could follow your example?"

Comment

So did that plane belong to the Rebels (al queda?) ?

Interesting to read the following note from Gadhafi to Oboma

But Gadhafi defended his actions in his note to Obama. He said his opponents are from al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the group's North African wing, and asked Obama what he would do if such an armed movement controlled American cities.

"Tell me, how would you behave so I could follow your example?"
                If I had to guess, I would say yes, it was a rebel aircraft, on a morale boosting fly past, that went horribly wrong. and the pilot is now a greasy spot in some Benghazi suburb.

as far as Gadhafis argument is concerned, it may be true. But I would respond by saying, we dont want al quaeda, but we dont want you either.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

From the BBC

Jet shot down over Libya | The Sun |News

Great picture on.

And they're off!

******* hell, do we only get involved with attacking countries with oil!!!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    Basically, they will procrastinate for as long as they can, until such time as the primary rebel offensive has disintergrated, down to a handful of people and a rather angry goat.

At this point, they will publically announce to great fanfare that they are now able to impose a no-fly zone over Libya, but will then retract it, as the party is all over. As a token gesture, they may send a few Tiger Moths to patrol on the border of Libya (the border being where Libya meets Malta).

Gadaffi stays in power, the rebels are crushed, and the UN can say that they did something. Everyone's happy.

Except for the angry goat of course, which gets halal butchered and eaten as part of a celebration.
                    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    There probably postponing the no fly zone and holding out for the ultimate sanction....a strongly worded letter from the UN
                    Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    The 'west' is protected by those health and safety forms*, so this no fly zone won't ever get off the ground.

* The same forms used to stop the ambulances going into those cumbrian towns when that nutter was randomly shooting people.
                    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The Zionists are quite happy with Gadaffi being in power and the yanks go along with that, Cameron really has to understand that there will be no no fly zone.
                    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I couldn't see a missile either, but it did explode in mid air.

From the BBC

Remind me not to listen to any of you lot when we discuss house prices.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    I must congratulate the UN security council on confounding the predictions of CUK's panel of ex-spurts.
                    Indeed.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

About time really that crazy criminal person got dealt with.

For the avoidance of doubt I'll publish his photo:

Comment

Working...
                      X