• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I am the Thatcher/Gaddafi/Saddam of the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    No I don't - Thatcher admired totalitarian dictators like Pinochet and called people who expressed democratic opposition to her "the enemy within"
    Compared to Saddam and Gadaffi, that's trivial. Unless of course she ordered the mass torture and execution of uk nationals that didn't make it in to the papers ?

I'm just saying, a sense of perspective, perhaps.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Compared to Saddam and Gadaffi, that's trivial. Unless of course she ordered the mass torture and execution of uk nationals that didn't make it in to the papers ?
      Indeed she didn't. Tony B Liar, on the other hand, allowed the Americans to carry out 'extraordinary rendition' (English translation; kidnapping) and 'enhanced interrogation' (English translation; torture) on British nationals, and should be dragged in front of the court in the Hague.

Or just get the tulip kicked out of him.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Any company claiming they are "passionate" about anything will be closed down immediately ...
        If a job spec mentions "passionate about perl" (or java or whatever), it's a sure sign their IT guys are all uber-geeks, who eat, drink, and sleep this skill, and have probably written publicly available modules or even O'Reilly books on it.

Their code will be stuffed full of all the latest gizmos they've come across, and as a result far harder to work with than it need be, and anyone they deign to interview will be asked all kinds of obscure questions to try and catch them out.

So as soon as I see the word "passionate" now I just say no. Life's too short for all that nonsense.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Their code will be stuffed full of all the latest gizmos they've come across, and the office cupboards will be filled with empty pizza boxes that are overgrown with blue mould.
          ftfy
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Well Saddam is dead and Gaddafi has other things to worry abbout atm, so I dont think they'll mind.

Comment

Any company with a mission statement should be shot as well
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

I'm just saying, a sense of perspective, perhaps.
                Perspective? On here?

Seriously, though you are right of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Could you also take into account companies who make their call centre staff ask your name (Mary), then say "is it Ok if I call you Mary today?"
                  Is that because some of their clients are only Mary on Fridays
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

...having a word with company sales departments that insist on ringing a "Gong" for any member of staff that closes a deal, or has David Brent-like bosses who say "Good Morning Winners !" to the staff in the mornings. Truly cringe-inducing.

Have a Nice Day !
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      Could you also take into account companies who make their call centre staff ask your name (Mary), then say "is it Ok if I call you Mary today?"
                      or companies that ask you to speak a number into a phone rather than type it in with that there handy number pad bundled free with every phone
                      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                      X