• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tsunami in Japan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Part of me simply wants to watch awestruck at HD video of what nature can do.
    I thought that until it occurred to me that those cars being washed away and tossed around like matchsticks might actually have people in them. Then I felt quite upset.

BBC News - Japan hit by large earthquake

BBC News - Live: Japan tsunami
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Got the news channel on while I work. They reported a giant whirlpool, as well... not sure what that's about.

Gone back to reporting 8.9 again now.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The BBC are saying 8.4 and 8.9 at the same time.

Why was Christchurch so bad? From what they're saying on the news so far it seems buildings haven't been that badly affected by the earthquake, and it's the tsunami that's causing the damage. Surely New Zealand being a fairly wealthy country with earthquakes would have had the same sort of earthquake proof buildings as Japan?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Why was Christchurch so bad? From what they're saying on the news so far it seems buildings haven't been that badly affected by the earthquake, and it's the tsunami that's causing the damage. Surely New Zealand being a fairly wealthy country with earthquakes would have had the same sort of earthquake proof buildings as Japan?
          A lot of British builders have emigrated to NZ. I reckon that explains a lot from my experience!

Comment

I've just seen the video of the Tsunami on the BBC News website.

Jesus!

Comment

There was a whole warehouse floating down the river, still in tact, near the end of that footage

Comment

Got the news channel on while I work. They reported a giant whirlpool, as well... not sure what that's about.

That'll be a 400ft high giant fire breathing, muhammed ali dancing, radioactive dinosaur.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

8.4 was the US Geological survey's measurement. The Japanese geologists measured 8.9. Both surveys are carried out with instruments spread around the pacific ring, but the Japanese survey has more instruments concentrated around Japan. Japan also has some of the best practical geologists in the world. There's a fair chance the Japanese figure is closer to the truth.

As for wealthy countries and survival; yes, some buildings are built to cope with quakes of 6 on the richter scale, but they're only the more modern buildings. Older buildings often can't cope so well. The really big difference in your survival chances between rich and poor countries comes AFTER the earthquake. Obviously, rich countries like Japan and New Zealand have the logistics and the healthcare and emergency systems in place to provide healthcare, clean water , medicine and security after a disaster. Poorer countries don't have that, although they do tend to do a good job of providing their rulers with palaces and fleets of Maybachs and Learjets.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    That'll be a 400ft high giant fire breathing, muhammed ali dancing, radioactive dinosaur.
                    Or just Godzookie:

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Apparently the Tsunami will hit the west coast of the US around 4-5pm GMT and NZ around 10pm GMT.

Don't underestimate the damage to buildings, roads, rail lines and so on. People might survive inside a well designed building but that doesn't mean it has survived intact and won't need to be demolished afterwards.

I wonder what the various pacific islanders plan to do?
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X