• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternatives to heating the house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Viz Top Tips once suggested: think about Neil Kinnock's 1992 Election victory rally. The thought of him screaming 'We're all right! We're all right!' will soon have you burning with embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      ...will soon have you burning with embarrassment.
      The norning after a night on the piss posting tulipe on here will do that nicely
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        £600?

Spent £200 on 2 tons of hardwood for the burner, the heating only came on in the mornings.
        Might be the way to go.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          It got so cold here for long periods over the past couple of months that having no heating on would have run the serious risk of burst pipes which would have cost a lot more than the gas bill to fix.

I'm hardy enough and lots of warm clothes but indoors dropping to sub zero temperatures would be torture.
          Set the thermostat to 10 degrees. The fingers become less nimble on the keyboard when it's below 10 degrees or so anyway, when you're sitting still.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Set the thermostat to 10 degrees. The fingers become less nimble on the keyboard when it's below 10 degrees or so anyway, when you're sitting still.
            Heating was set to the bare minimum but needed to be on almost constantly and I still supplemented comfort with jumpers. Open plan sort of place so no way to exclude draughts totally I suppose.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Here's a solution:

Yes, become a Jedi. May the heat be with you, Luke warm.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Here's a solution:

Yes, become a Jedi. May the heat be with you, Luke warm.
                Now we're talking

Not quite my colour though.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Now we're talking

Not quite my colour though.
                  Mine's blue

Comment

Sounds like insulation problems.

Have cavity wall & 400 mm of loft insulation and the only time the boiler fires is for hot water and when the wife leaves the front door open (soon to have a beeper on)!

With decent insulation you rarely need to heat the house. Remember each human is about 1-2kw of heat.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Sounds like insulation problems.

Have cavity wall & 400 mm of loft insulation and the only time the boiler fires is for hot water and when the wife leaves the front door open (soon to have a beeper on)!

With decent insulation you rarely need to heat the house. Remember each human is about 1-2kw of heat.
                      Not much chance of cavity wall insulation here as the walls are three feet thick. There's no loft as such but an apex gap of about four feet that should be properly insulated as the conversion was only done about five years ago. All helps of course.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X