• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Smart Grid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the CEO of the National Grid says on Radio 4:

We keep thinking that we want it to be there and provide power when we need it.
    I can't help feeling that when he says this it means, power won't be there when you need it.

or...
    “We are going to change our own behaviour and consume it when it is available and available cheaply.”
    means you can watch TV when the wind is blowing.

I like the way he dresses this up as a "Smart Grid". What is going to happen is that your house will be controlled by some Engineer at the local Wind Farm, and when the wind drops you get switched off. The other alternative is that a big siren goes off in the cellar to warn you that the price has gone up to £500 per KwH.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 March 2011, 09:58.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
    X