• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People skills and emotional intelligence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Nah, he suggested that during some recent problems I hadn't told him that things were going wrong. So I shouted at him, then listed the three times I had informed him of the issues in the particular example he chose, several pieces of technical advice he had decided to ignore that got us into our current, unrelated, predicament, a few past occasions when he had done the same thing, gave some other examples of situations where his being simply too busy to respond to attempts at communication had resulted in problems or delays, and added some reasons why what he was now proposing would guarantee we had a zero percent chance of hitting our target.

Anyway today we had a meeting about something else and at the end he offered me some "feedback" which I had a choice of listening to or not, I accepted and he gave me some valid and well judged constructive criticism regarding the things he thinks are weak points and "would ask me to improve if I were to lead part of the team in the future", the main one being that he feels I have no overview or structure to the way I manage the various subprojects that make up my remit, or at least if I do he has no view of it. We will probably have another meeting to go through the way I do things and find a way that he can have a bit more visibility. Just as soon as I have got it all out of my head into something resembling a plan.

He also gave me some very positive feedback about my strong points, which outweigh the weak ones sufficiently that he is rather unhappy I am leaving, which was already on the cards and not just because of what happened yesterday.
    Regardless of your outburst, that sounds like a guy who has taken on board the criticism and at the same time has offered constructive appraisal of your own skills. I would say that merits the making of a good manager.

One of areas I have found lacking within individuals in IT is that, although they may be incredibly competent and good at their jobs they struggle with the bigger picture and get focussed on detail. Whereas the detail is important, it is more important never to get stuck or bogged down in one area.

I used to get incredibly frustrated with people / situations / contracts and as is joked on CUK would 'punch someone out or walk out'. Whereas this meme has some basis in truth in the past, I have been posting on CUK for over a decade and have been thankful of that type of constructive criticism when it has been given generously. In addition, I took a mentor when I was a permanent manager, someone who could see both my strengths and weaknesses, but to whom I did not work for or with and so was a good sounding board. That was incredibly useful.

So take that for what it's worth and if you don't agree I'll kick your ******* head in! :
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nah, he suggested that during some recent problems I hadn't told him that things were going wrong. So I shouted at him, then listed the three times I had informed him of the issues in the particular example he chose, several pieces of technical advice he had decided to ignore that got us into our current, unrelated, predicament, a few past occasions when he had done the same thing, gave some other examples of situations where his being simply too busy to respond to attempts at communication had resulted in problems or delays, and added some reasons why what he was now proposing would guarantee we had a zero percent chance of hitting our target.

Anyway today we had a meeting about something else and at the end he offered me some "feedback" which I had a choice of listening to or not, I accepted and he gave me some valid and well judged constructive criticism regarding the things he thinks are weak points and "would ask me to improve if I were to lead part of the team in the future", the main one being that he feels I have no overview or structure to the way I manage the various subprojects that make up my remit, or at least if I do he has no view of it. We will probably have another meeting to go through the way I do things and find a way that he can have a bit more visibility. Just as soon as I have got it all out of my head into something resembling a plan.

He also gave me some very positive feedback about my strong points, which outweigh the weak ones sufficiently that he is rather unhappy I am leaving, which was already on the cards and not just because of what happened yesterday. And then I fed his wife's face to his dogs.
      FTFY

Comment

<snip>
        ...he gave me some valid and well judged constructive criticism regarding the things he thinks are weak points and "would ask me to improve if I were to lead part of the team in the future", the main one being that he feels I have no overview or structure to the way I manage the various subprojects that make up my remit, or at least if I do he has no view of it. We will probably have another meeting to go through the way I do things and find a way that he can have a bit more visibility. Just as soon as I have got it all out of my head into something resembling a plan.

He also gave me some very positive feedback about my strong points, which outweigh the weak ones sufficiently that he is rather unhappy I am leaving, which was already on the cards and not just because of what happened yesterday.
        So he, at least, does have people skills and emotional intelligence.

A translation of the above:
        1) He thinks you are a total numpty who couldn't plan or manage the proverbial Piss up in a Brewery
        2) He is a decent enough man manager not to blow you out of the water completely but attempt to give you some help/pointers for the future.
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
          So he, at least, does have people skills and emotional intelligence.

A translation of the above:
          1) He thinks you are a total numpty who couldn't plan or manage the proverbial Piss up in a Brewery
          2) He is a decent enough man manager not to blow you out of the water completely but attempt to give you some help/pointers for the future.
          Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Another piece of feedback he gave me yesterday was that "it's the senders job to make sure a message arrives". It took me shouting to do that job.

My opinion is that he is quite a difficult manager to work with, very autocratic, doesn't listen to things he doesn't want to hear, makes decisions in contradiction of sound technical advice and then blames the people who gave him the advice when things don't turn out how he hoped.

I think the language barrier and cultural differences play a part, but he's also not a great listener and gets very frustrated very quickly if anyone questions his opinion or ideas.

The other day for example, it wasn't like he was calm throughout, in fact it wasn't until he started shouting at me because I was disagreeing with him that I shouted back. It took my outburst and the intervention of a third party to persuade him to stop trying to impose his preformed idea and listen to what I was trying to tell him.

Another part of the problem is that he tends to commit to delivering things in unrealistic timescales without consulting the people who will actually be doing the work. In general I get a piece of work and a date, no input into the schedule, and if I say it's unrealistic then I'm ignored. In this particular case the schedule has slipped because I was allocated (by him, essentially) to other work, and the deadline has moved by less than the time I've spent on other work.

After the meeting, one of the other people in it said he and two other colleagues had recently had a similar exchange, and I can remember an occasion just before Christmas when he blew up in a similar fashion over a trivial matter.

I suspect if he thought I was a total numpty I would have been allowed to leave as requested, I certainly wouldn't have got a rate rise for the handover period or the local head of HR taking me for lunch to talk through the last few years with a view to keeping me on board for the longer term.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

"it's the senders job to make sure a message arrives"
            That attitude astounds me though unfortunately it's not uncommon. So the ability and willingness of the recipient to actually listen don't play a part at all? If the recipient has poor comprehension skills and is unable to understand what he's being told in spite of the fact that it's been repeated several times that's somehow the sender's fault?

What utter carp.
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Knowing Doodab's ClientCo (same as mine) I sympathise. I also tried to leave at the end of March but I have been specifically requested to stay on. I clearly don't have to, but don't like people being left in the lurch so have agreed a 3 month extension.

This PM is an uber knob, and has tried to play the "look how professional I am" card after Doodab's little outburst. The problem here is Doodab's peers can see the writing on the wall and it doesn't matter how much constructive feedback he gives it does nothing to fix the critical problems :

a) The project plan is fantasy
              b) The project has problems
              c) He doesn't listen to points a) + b)

No choice but for Doodab to skidaddle IMHO.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I think the language barrier and cultural differences play a part, but he's also not a great listener and gets very frustrated very quickly if anyone questions his opinion or ideas.
                I once had a PM screaming at me and the team to solve an issue I'd just told him was unsolvable, he demanded we came up with a solution but given that it was impossible to no one said anything- then after about five minutes of embarrassing silence the PM relented because he himself couldn't think of a solution either so it pays to be passive-aggressive about things sometimes
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                X