• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mid East Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    It's easy for all of us to be sat here saying what we think is good news and bad news, imagine having to actually live under the tyranny of gaddafi, saddam, saudi king, mubarek, israel, etc etc etc. All those guys being supported by our goverements for decades. Everybody looks at it from a self-interest angle, why don't we consider how much suffering the people of these countries have endured? Don't they deserve some freedom and opportunity like us guys? At the end of the day people in those countries have the same aspirations and determination as we do it's just they have had to endure severe oppression and have been denied the opportunity. It's time we all showed a little sympathy as we will never understand the kind of torture these guys have had to take for so many years.
    Absolutely right. I also think that most of them couldn't give a stuff about Israel, 'the West', 'imperialism' and all that, but want to be able to work for a reasonable wage, put food on the table and chat freely with their mates without some secret police bastard listening in on whatever they say, and would like a government that spends revenues on stuff like healthcare, water provision and infrastructure instead of subsidizing terrorists and buying bloody great yachts and mansions for top officials. They'd rather their kids learn about maths, spelling, languages and science at school than having them indoctrinated by some dictator every day or being forced to work in sweatshops for next to nothing.

Perhaps I'm just guessing, but having visited quite a few developing countries, islamic and otherwise, I get the impression that most of their citizens are basically alright folks who want a chance to lead a peaceful life.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Cameron is straight in there:

Cameron tries to forge a new foreign policy | News

does he run on Energizer batteres?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Absolutely right. I also think that most of them couldn't give a stuff about Israel, 'the West', 'imperialism' and all that, but want to be able to work for a reasonable wage, put food on the table and chat freely with their mates without some secret police bastard listening in on whatever they say, and would like a government that spends revenues on stuff like healthcare, water provision and infrastructure instead of subsidizing terrorists and buying bloody great yachts and mansions for top officials. They'd rather their kids learn about maths, spelling, languages and science at school than having them indoctrinated by some dictator every day or being forced to work in sweatshops for next to nothing.

Perhaps I'm just guessing, but having visited quite a few developing countries, islamic and otherwise, I get the impression that most of their citizens are basically alright folks who want a chance to lead a peaceful life.

Yes , but a lot of them do seem rather cross with Israel. That isn't apparent in the current protests but nonetheless it's there. Thats the thing that worries me about this so called people power.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Yes , but a lot of them do seem rather cross with Israel. That isn't apparent in the current protests but nonetheless it's there. Thats the thing that worries me about this so called people power.
          Well, indeed, but I wonder what their priorities are. If you're struggling to put food on the plate, pay the bills and keep out of trouble for having an opinion about something, Israel would seem quite an abstract issue.

I don't think it's the people you should fear; it's the 'leaders' that might take advantage of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            Why is that surprising given the way Israel behaves?
            You reap what you sow.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Why is that surprising given the way Israel behaves?
              You reap what you sow.
              Not always. I sowed some basil last spring and only got stinging nettles.

Comment

Well, indeed, but I wonder what their priorities are. If you're struggling to put food on the plate, pay the bills and keep out of trouble for having an opinion about something, Israel would seem quite an abstract issue.

I don't think it's the people you should fear; it's the 'leaders' that might take advantage of the situation.
                Perhaps many of them feel so strongly against Israel for the same reason many non-muslims are so strongly against Israel? Perhaps that is further enhanced because of their own suffering and feeling a connection with other oppressed people?

Can you blame them for their anger? Not only is the west supporting their cruel leaders but constantly supporting (with Billions in "Aid") countries who also pour out their own oppression against other arabs.

All I can say is put yourself in their situation, how would you feel? Forget the difference in religion or belief just look at it in a completely neutral and unbiased way and what the reality is like on the ground.

There is no justification for terrorism, but there is justification for the feeling of hatred towards western imperialism and all that it entails.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Not always. I sowed some basil last spring and only got stinging nettles.
                  Ah, you were looking for Galatians: Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

But you got Genesis: Cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    Ah, you were looking for Galatians: Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

But you got Genesis: Cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee.
                    I quite like nettle soup, but not every day.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      There is no justification for terrorism, but there is a recurring theme in this whereby rather than confronting your own problems, it is easier to simply just lay the blame at the door of the western democracies.
                      FTFY

Can't understand why this tedious thread is still hanging around like a bad smell either.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X