• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF is the point of insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurers will no longer be able to make risk ratings based on your age/sex. This is likely to make car insurance significantly more expensive for anyone who isn't a young male
    Quite absurd. Still, it should make health insurance for oldies cheaper or won't it work like that? Probably not.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Quite absurd. Still, it should make health insurance for oldies cheaper or won't it work like that? Probably not.
      Yes, but it'll make it *much* more expensive for everyone else.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Yes, but it'll make it *much* more expensive for everyone else.
        They can still charge on number of years of driving experience and NCBs
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Has anyone been able to make a claim on the new house "warrenty". I tried and after two years of being fobbed off the builder just told us that the period had expired now and to claim against insurance.

The problem? Shoddy morter which now means about half my house needs repointing. And its only 12 years old. Not to mention the shoddy work on the roof, and the gutters and more.

What a crock!

The current system really does suck. But...considering that a lot of the insurance companies are owned by banks...I don't expect anything to change. Unless...someone were to set up a insurance union?
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            Has anyone been able to make a claim on the new house "warrenty". I tried and after two years of being fobbed off the builder just told us that the period had expired now and to claim against insurance.
            Since you registered the issue during the warranty period then the builder can't just ignore it, you've got a clear case of going to law over it. Get some proper advice, perhaps your insurance companies legal department will be of assistance.

Comment

Yeh. They'll pass it to a firm of solicitors who will pass it to their most junior trainee who will pass it to the cat and you won't hear anything for 3 months until you start pestering it and then you'll find out your claim isn't covered for some reason.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post

The problem? Shoddy morter which now means about half my house needs repointing. And its only 12 years old. Not to mention the shoddy work on the roof, and the gutters and more.

What a crock!

The current system really does suck. But...considering that a lot of the insurance companies are owned by banks...I don't expect anything to change. Unless...someone were to set up a insurance union?

Parents had am similar problem and included the electrics. Cables were stretched over the attic diagonally, no tacking, no end loops earth missing etc. Obviously from a no qualified electrician, The building inspector has passed it as OK. It would have cost about £10k (25 years ago) to litigate. The answer was to move house. I have never bought new, I like WYSIWYG.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Since you registered the issue during the warranty period then the builder can't just ignore it, you've got a clear case of going to law over it. Get some proper advice, perhaps your insurance companies legal department will be of assistance.
                  My insurance company will simply reply with "nowt to do with us". In a perfect world your advice makes sense. but not in a world where council's have been bought out by commercial property developers...where developers are advising councils on low income housing. Its a farce.
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Parents had am similar problem and included the electrics. Cables were stretched over the attic diagonally, no tacking, no end loops earth missing etc. Obviously from a no qualified electrician, The building inspector has passed it as OK. It would have cost about £10k (25 years ago) to litigate. The answer was to move house. I have never bought new, I like WYSIWYG.
                    I find it amazing that if I sell a car with the problems I can get done..but with a house..nope its buyer beware. Amazing!

Comment

The best way to look at insurance is the same way you look a bookie. There is very little difference.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X