• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cringe-inducing Interview Answers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I've always found "tell me about yourself" to completely pointless.
    "Oh, tulip. I wish I had the time to prepare for these bloody interviews. Right, who's this? Wob-something, blah, blah, blah. I really should have read these in advance. Still, the agent did the shortlisting so I don't have to read them, just go through the motions. I know, I'll just ask the usual standard questions and nod while he answers as if I am listening. That will give us all the chance to skim his CV for the first time. Right, let's look confident and pretend I have a clue."

"Good morning, Mr, er, Bebon. Thank you for coming. Why don't we start with you telling me all about yourself?"
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Not an answer but a Question from a candidate for a grad job......

Interviewer: Do you have any Questions?

Candidate: Only.. when do I start?

He didn't get the job
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        And don't start me on the tosser who actually ANSWERED HIS PHONE during an interview
        There's a tale on thedailywtf about someone who got out a tuna sandwich and started eating in the middle of the interview.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          There's a tale on thedailywtf about someone who got out a tuna sandwich and started eating in the middle of the interview.
          I once interviewed for a job where I kicked my shoes off, put my feet on the desk and told the interviewer to get me a coke and make it bloody snappy. I got the job.

Sasguru.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I once interviewed for a job where I kicked my shoes off, put my feet on the desk and told the interviewer to get me a coke and make it bloody snappy. I got the job.

Sasguru.
            Skidders please accept my humble apologies

I was just about to respond Arrogant Twunt!!

When I spotted the "sig"

Please remind me to +ve rep you in a couple of days!
            Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
            Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              After a long time on the bench I've been trying for permie jobs.
              In my experience no matter how good your are technically,
              Getting a permie job depends on the answer to these bulltulip questions

Why do you want to work for this company
              where do you see yourself in 5 years
              what do you look for in a job
              how would your ex-manager/colleagues describe you
              what are your strengths/weakness
              what motivates you
              what do you dislike about a job
              what is the biggest challenge you have have faced at work
              Describe a difficult situation which, with hindsight, you could have handled better
              Spot on that man....you also get those questions thrown at you when you go for council contracts....FFS I am a contractor...

Comment

"I work well on my own but am also a team player".

I've never been an interviewer before, but if I ever hear that one I would punch them!

Comment

Originally posted by riiiiiich View Post
                  "I work well on my own but am also a team player".

I've never been an interviewer before, but if I ever hear that one I would punch them!
                  You should because they should be using STAR and give you an example of working in both situations.

(And no I can't remember what it means exactly but my uni careers service did teach me something useful.)
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

At the end of one interview I held for my replacement, I asked one (odd) bloke if he had any questions.

He sat up straight and laughed this odd, cackling laugh for what seemed like an age.

Eventually he leaned back in his chair and sort of shouted "WELL, Mary - let me ask YOU the questions you've just asked ME and see how you do!" I assumed this was his idea of a joke until he actually did seem to expect me to answer one of my own questions.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You should because they should be using STAR and give you an example of working in both situations.

(And no I can't remember what it means exactly but my uni careers service did teach me something useful.)
                      It's annoying, because I'd rather tell the truth which is - I hate working as part of a team.
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X