• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Belgium has its own version of the Apprentice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pointer...

...I'll check out FR2. Quite ilke the suggestion of a French femme (of the moin lourde variety) but I'll have run that past my English gf first - might have to stick to the conversation clases that seem to be getting somewhere.

I like Belgium too, even considering buying a place, but sometimes I get floored by how dysfunctional it is just below the surface. I work with a lot of flemish guys who have all, separately, given me the same unprompted diatribe about the ways things 'really' are - strange bunch indeed but make me feel well adjusted.

Are there many UK freelance guys out here?

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
      You need to be more precise here, JB, and say it's the Dutch-speaking bit of Belgium that has the Apprentice.

F in "FDF" mode
      I thought that would be obvious Fleety, given that there is no enterprise to speak of in Wallonie, and Vlaanderen (Belgie that is) has to provide financial aid most of the time...

Nederlands?, er is geen Nederlandstallige mensen in Belgie!

Joe in "VB" mode (not sure if thats Vlaams Blok, Vlaams Belang or Vlaams B*******)

Edit:

"As for French language skills either get yourself a French-speaking bird (Wild Geese on Thursday night is a cattle-market)"

And what do you suggest if you want to be cuni-lingual?
      Last edited by Joe Black; 1 March 2006, 21:56.

Comment

The Flemish part is certainly richer than the French speaking part ATM, so effectively they are subsidising, (and boy do they not like it), but up to the 70's say, it was the other way round, and they didn't have a problem then. Funny that.
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Wild Geese on Thursday is scraping the barrel, all the slappers with pretensions to class are going to @7 in Madou.

Comment

Nederlands?, er is geen Nederlandstallige mensen in Belgie!
            -----------------------------------------------------------

er zijn?

</FWNLmode>

Comment

Ja sorry, een klein grammaticaal foutje...

Maybe I shouldn't have stopped with the language courses.

PS. It's on again tonight apparently, so make sure you have the popcorn ready!
              Last edited by Joe Black; 2 March 2006, 20:22.

Comment

Groland and Guignols de l'info

The best French language telly I find is the News in Spitting Image format which takes the p... out of the TF1 news - The Canal+ programme "Les Guignols de l'Info" I know its French but all my French-speaking Belgian friends watch it too.... its on Canal + every evening at 7.55 PM.

The other great one is Groland , on the same channel, totally silly student humour, weekly summary on Sundays at 1.35 PM. I get these sketches e-mailed to me all the time...

Apart from that I agree @7 is better than WG, but it depends how desperate you are... ;-) What about Bazaar & Havana Club? Place Lux on Friday nights is also not bad for after work beers with the euro-crowd.

Have you seen this new site BrusselsJobs ? Comes from these guys EuroBrussels.

Off to Place Lux in 3 hours...

Comment

Working...
                X