• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nokia dumps Symbian and gets into bed be with Microsoft.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Bad move IMO. Had a Windows phone a few years ago and really did not get on with it. Appreciate Windows Mobile has probably moved on a few versions since my dabble but it would take a heck of a lot to get me near one again.

Nokia FAIL I reckon - oh how the mighty have fallen

I had a Windows phone in 2006. The main problem I found was that the key controls were done thru Windows. When I wanted to terminate a call by pressing the red button it could take up to up to five seconds to react thus costing me money. Windows would often get in a twist a incorrect last call would be displayed.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Like most, I started off using Nokia mobiles but switched to Sony Ericsson in about 2004 when they announced their joint venture.

I remember at the time thinking I was mad as Nokia's were still good phones - reliable and easy to use.

Haven't used a Nokia since and when I have come across a Nokia recently, can't believe how un-intuitive the OS is.

Reminds me of the ghastly Motorola OS in that each action requires twice as many clicks/button presses than is necessary to achieve what you want.

In this day and age, primary functions should not be more than 2 - 3 clicks/button presses away.

Have been using a HTC HD2 for a couple of years now which runs Windows Mobile.

Great piece of hardware and Windows Mobile runs quite well on it but, IMO, that is mainly to do with the fact that HTC have overlaid it with their own Sense OS which means, for primary functions, you end up using Sense and not Windows Mobile most of the time.

Wrt todays announcement, can't help but feel it is a backward step for Nokia - Microsoft probably can't believe their luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Microsoft probably can't believe their luck.
        Luck? Microsoft will end up paying $$$$$ for this.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          So by DimPrawn's reasoning, now would be the time to pile into Microsoft?

Comment

What i see is two loosers in the mobile game strugling together, both MS and Nokia have failed big time in the mobile market, now they can fail together!

Though I have a Nokia n900, very nice machine, but its very geeky. It's essentialy a full blown Linux box with a wifi modem. Get shell access by default, runs OpenSSH, Samba, Apache, Vi., etc. Not to everyones taste though. Went to a Linux conference the other week, and 90% of the people there had a n900, gives you a clue to the demographic.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What normally happens when someone partners with Microsoft is that they get shafted.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Like most, I started off using Nokia mobiles but switched to Sony Ericsson in about 2004 when they announced their joint venture.

I remember at the time thinking I was mad as Nokia's were still good phones - reliable and easy to use.

Haven't used a Nokia since and when I have come across a Nokia recently, can't believe how un-intuitive the OS is.

Reminds me of the ghastly Motorola OS in that each action requires twice as many clicks/button presses than is necessary to achieve what you want.

In this day and age, primary functions should not be more than 2 - 3 clicks/button presses away.

Have been using a HTC HD2 for a couple of years now which runs Windows Mobile.

Great piece of hardware and Windows Mobile runs quite well on it but, IMO, that is mainly to do with the fact that HTC have overlaid it with their own Sense OS which means, for primary functions, you end up using Sense and not Windows Mobile most of the time.

Wrt todays announcement, can't help but feel it is a backward step for Nokia - Microsoft probably can't believe their luck.
                Years....don't you mean months? Windows 7 mobile has not been around years. I also thing it's the other way around, their sense thing is on windows since that is the base os. MS specified the hardware requirements for the handsets and they were built to that. I've been tempted to get a windows phone, but I want to see what the iphone 5 will be like before I sign up for my next handset. I don't like the lack of storage on the windows 7 phones and the lack of a SD slot as I tend to use my phone for watching video while on the train.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  Years....don't you mean months? Windows 7 mobile has not been around years. I also thing it's the other way around, their sense thing is on windows since that is the base os. MS specified the hardware requirements for the handsets and they were built to that. I've been tempted to get a windows phone, but I want to see what the iphone 5 will be like before I sign up for my next handset. I don't like the lack of storage on the windows 7 phones and the lack of a SD slot as I tend to use my phone for watching video while on the train.
                  Get with it Tone - I'm talking about Windows Mobile not Windows Phone 7.

Comment

But the HTC HD2 only shipped November 2009, which isn't a "couple of years"

Unless you got yours 7 months early, in which case it could just about be two years.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      But the HTC HD2 only shipped November 2009, which isn't a "couple of years"

Unless you got yours 7 months early, in which case it could just about be two years.
                      Your right, I should have quoted the exact number of days, months and years of use and not a generalisation which is out by a few months and, as a result, completely detracts from the content of my post.

Comment

Working...
                      X