• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the nation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stackpole
    So you believe that the parlous state of the economy in the early eighties was due to "Thatcher engineering a recession".

Would anyone else like to support that view?
    It's the first thing she did.

No-one on here will support that view because you're all too collectively up her dry arse.

I doubt that too many of the people made redundant at C&W and MFI will have too much problem finding jobs.

THAT is the main difference between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by benn0
      I doubt that too many of the people made redundant at C&W and MFI will have too much problem finding jobs.

THAT is the main difference between now and then.
      perhaps you are right benn0.

However, I dont think that jobs flipping burgers on a McWage or becoming an "outreach worker for disadvantaged, disabled, black and lesbian red squirrels" offer either the same job fullfillment for the people from C&W or benefit the UK economy in the same way.

Comment

Why would any politician knowingly force a country into a recession as this would make themselves and their government unpopular with the population and harder to re elect.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Cable & Wireless to shed 3000 uk jobs
          MFI to shed 1500 jobs
          Energy prices up around 25%
          Nationwide sees house price dip
          Poor retails sales mean job cuts "The business group's survey blamed a "poor retail climate" for 37% of firms reporting a fall in employment. "
          Not that I want to defend labour, it's just the constant whinging that gets me. How many of those points can you attribute to GB amd new labour?

C&W & MFI had it coming, cause they're sh1t, not cause GB is.

Energy prices are going up cause north sea gas is running out and the cost of oil is high. However much you'd like to pin the on Gordon, you can't.

Houseprice dipping is a good thing if you ask me, they're overvalued at the moment and this report is purely subjective - go search and you'll find other bodies saying house prices rose for the fastest rate in two years in February. Who feckin knows.

Retail sales dropped yes, the same reports say the overall trend is upwards and the knock on effect could be an interest rate cut according to 'financial experts', obviously helping house prices.

FFS if you're gonna have a whinge at labour (And feck me they need it) can we put a wee try to steer clear of the daily mail hysteria type posts and get it in perspective.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
            Not that I want to defend labour, it's just the constant whinging that gets me. How many of those points can you attribute to GB amd new labour?

C&W & MFI had it coming, cause they're sh1t, not cause GB is.

Energy prices are going up cause north sea gas is running out and the cost of oil is high. However much you'd like to pin the on Gordon, you can't.

Houseprice dipping is a good thing if you ask me, they're overvalued at the moment and this report is purely subjective - go search and you'll find other bodies saying house prices rose for the fastest rate in two years in February. Who feckin knows.

Retail sales dropped yes, the same reports say the overall trend is upwards and the knock on effect could be an interest rate cut according to 'financial experts', obviously helping house prices.

FFS if you're gonna have a whinge at labour (And feck me they need it) can we put a wee try to steer clear of the daily mail hysteria type posts and get it in perspective.
            Nil points. Common sense has no place on this forum
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

EVERYTHING is labour's fault on this forum.

Even the water shortage FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                Why would any politician knowingly force a country into a recession as this would make themselves and their government unpopular with the population and harder to re elect.
                So that come re-election time they can wax on about 'X years of continuous growth'

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
                  perhaps you are right benn0.

However, I dont think that jobs flipping burgers on a McWage or becoming an "outreach worker for disadvantaged, disabled, black and lesbian red squirrels" offer either the same job fullfillment for the people from C&W or benefit the UK economy in the same way.
                  So everyone in Cable and Wireless will end up working in Mcdonalds will they?

Bollocks and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by benn0
                    So everyone in Cable and Wireless will end up working in Mcdonalds will they?

Bollocks and you know it.
                    once again you are right benn0, they will almost certainly all end up working as "outreach worker for disadvantaged, disabled, black and lesbian red squirrels"

Comment

But what about the grey squirrels?

That's blatant discrimination that is.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X