• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daft Olympic legacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Hold more major athletics meetings to bring in more revenue. Get kids doing athletics at school to fight obesity and lay the foundation of future sporting success. Stop Labour's practise of overtaxing top foreign sportspeople so that top athletes might actually come and run in London more often.

Just a couple of ideas, but then I'm biased as I like athletics.
    I thought you were a fat lad. Or is it ogling women in leotards that gets you interest?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I thought you were a fat lad. Or is it ogling women in leotards that gets you interest?
      I competed in the shotput and javelin, and ogled women in skimpy kit.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I competed in the shotput and javelin, and ogled women in skimpy kit.
        So you are a fatty?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I haven't seen the layout of the stadium, but would it be feasible to be used as a music venue ? Not sure if the O2 would be happy about it though...
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Hold more major athletics meetings to bring in more revenue. Get kids doing athletics at school to fight obesity and lay the foundation of future sporting success. Stop Labour's practise of overtaxing top foreign sportspeople so that top athletes might actually come and run in London more often.

Just a couple of ideas, but then I'm biased as I like athletics.
            I like athletics too, and encouraging sports in schools is a good thing, but that isn't going to make much use of the Olympic stadium.

There are only so many athletics meetings you can hold there that would pull 5000, let alone the proposed 25,000 capacity. Overheads will be in the millions and won't go away, which is why we'll end up with a loss-making white elephant that stands empty nearly all year.

Athletics is not like it was in the early 1980s, when you could fill Crystal Palace (13,000) and Gateshead, but even then only two or possibly three times a year maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              I haven't seen the layout of the stadium, but would it be feasible to be used as a music venue ? Not sure if the O2 would be happy about it though...
              Perhaps we could turn it into a Millennium dome?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                I like athletics too, and encouraging sports in schools is a good thing, but that isn't going to make much use of the Olympic stadium.

There are only so many athletics meetings you can hold there that would pull 5000, let alone the proposed 25,000 capacity. Overheads will be in the millions and won't go away, which is why we'll end up with a loss-making white elephant that stands empty nearly all year.

Athletics is not like it was in the early 1980s, when you could fill Crystal Palace (13,000) and Gateshead, but even then only two or possibly three times a year maximum.
                Yep, because athletics has an image problem and isn't being sold well. The London Olympics, along with the stadium, could be used to help get athletics back on the map in the UK. But to do that you'd need to ensure the best seats in the stadium for major events are given to kids and young athletes so they can see the action, instead of constantly pandering to the sponsors.

I think you could probably fill it for athletics at least once a year, for a golden series event, but to do that you need people like Bolt to turn up, which he won't if you keep taxing his arse off.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Perhaps we could turn it into a Millennium dome?
                  Rumour has it that B Liar had a bit of a cold when he rang the builders to order a millenium gnome.

However, that could also be used profitably; look at how the French use the Bercy omnisports centre; indoor motocross, BMX, indoor athletics, indoor beach rugby (really!), women's volleyball , rock concerts etc etc Oooh sorry, forgot, the UK has 'elf and safety' that'll put an end to all that

Comment

The stadium could be used for other things...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      The stadium could be used for other things...

A holding centre for zombies?

Comment

Working...
                      X