• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another BBC Hatchet Job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sumerians were pretty much the first civilisation to count based on base 12. 12 sections on the left hand fingers which were pointed to by the thumb and the fingers on the right hand would count up the successions of left hand counts. The Romans may have dumped their numbers onto the clock but it was the precursors to the modern Arabs that gave us time in base 12.

Comment

Of course any mention of the Sumerians leads to their 'alleged' involvement with aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        no. the arabs had it nearly two thousand years before the Hindus

Arabic numerals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          The Arabs got that from the Hindus
          You thick bastard. Wikipedia? Of course it's true.
          Last edited by Churchill; 3 February 2011, 16:10.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Sumerians were pretty much the first civilisation to count based on base 12. 12 sections on the left hand fingers which were pointed to by the thumb and the fingers on the right hand would count up the successions of left hand counts. The Romans may have dumped their numbers onto the clock but it was the precursors to the modern Arabs that gave us time in base 12.
            2.5k years ago, the Arabs in Babylonia counted in base 60. they had the zero, but didnt call it a zero, thery wernt even sure it was a number. they just left a space. I think it was the Hindus who said hang on a minute, lets give it a name and call it a number, but that was only a few hundred years ago.
            I dont know much about the sumerians except they wrote in cuniform, which means 'wedge shaped'.
            i learned that when i was 7, in my first ever history lesson. sheesh.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Oh look its the tag team of thicko ex-squaddies.
              Making themselves a laughing stock yet again

Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

whoops, sg, our posts crossed. that link of yours is correct, but its not the full story.

the ancient arabs had the zero, they just didnt give it a name or say it was a number. It was something sort of different. a space, less than a one, a sort of 'theres something there, but its less than a one'

they had trouble explaining it to the greeks. so alexander killed them all for being confusing

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Wikipedia? Of course it's true.
                  Is it a characteristic of self-selected cannon fodder that they keep digging even when when they have reached rock-bottom?

Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Oh look its the tag team of thicko ex-squaddies.
                    Making themselves a laughing stock yet again

Have you ever made a constructive or informative post on this or any other forum?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      It is the 10, 11 & 12 that is important.
                      Did you have to use your Honours Degree in Engineering to take your shoes and socks off to do that?

When are you going to admit you were wrong on your previous errors today, eh?
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X