• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photography

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman
    Only problem is the interiors. Yes, you do need as wide a lens as you can get
    Not necessarily, especially if DP's aiming at just screen/browser level quality.

Personally think you'll do fine with just a decent quality P&S and, as malvolio suggests, get some stitching software. With very-wide angle lenses, if you're trying to get half the room in a shot, you're gonna end up doing perspective corrections in any case.

Main things I would look out for are a) low-noise in low light conditions, and b) decent lens and optical zoom...
    Last edited by Joe Black; 26 February 2006, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Hi,

This is something I know NOTHING about.

I would like a digital camera specifically for taking high quality pictures of overseas properties, both outside and in.

I believe you can get things called lenses and filters. These should make the pictures outside seem brighter and more vibrant.

Inside I would like a lens that shows the whole room (wide angle?).

Now, what sort of digital camera can do this? Don't really want to spend too much money.

Any advice or guidance?

Cheers.

DP
      I'd suggest a Canon Rebel, or whatever it's called. It only costs about a grand (You did say you didn't want to pay too much.)

If photographing property, when you get to the garden don't forget to crouch down and take pictures of the lawn from about an inch off the ground. That way it looks like a vast expanse rather than more like a green handkerchief.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd go for a compact. An SLR is big and costly and you'll find it annoying, especially since it's a pain to carry, and too valuable to leave in the car. These days compacts are marvelous and they have huge depth of field. Only go for a DSLR if you want larger than A4, and want to be really creative e.g. macro.

Photoshop Elements 3 is a good and cheap software package. One of the best. And it might be free with some cameras.

The blue sky is probably largely due to increasing saturation.

Check out photo magazines recommended buys at WHSmiths. A small compact with 4-6 MP, and a 2x or 3x zoom should do the job.

Comment

Oh and don't buy from Jessops. Expensive, poor return policy, and the staff are from the Dixons school of service. One of the best online shops is Warehouse Express. But do check out Comet. They have lots on display so you can fondle cameras without a salesperson breathing down your neck.

Comment

Where can I buy a digital Wide angle Zoom camera (cheap and online)?

They seem to be pretty rare?

Comment

Usefull article can be found here. Be warned
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Where can I buy a digital Wide angle Zoom camera (cheap and online)?

They seem to be pretty rare?
                http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/

Have a look at the nikon coolpix 5400. I had a coolpix before moving up to dSLR, quality was excellent - good lenses. This camera starts at 28mm - not many around at this price with a wider angle. Special offer £199.

(I won't confuse you with 35mm camera equivalents)

Comment

Kodak z740 looks good, in fact i might get one myself..........

5megapixel, 10x optical zoom and fairly small. Some good reviews out there and all for £155

Comment

Is your wife interested in photography? Know what I mean, know what I mean? Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, SAY NO MORE!
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Just a thought which may or may not suit your needs. Most compact Digitals nowadays come with a video function (length of time depends on the memory card etc but 3 mins usually suits me and the wife ) but if the main use is for interiors you could use the still shot to link to a small film of the interior.........
                      Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

Working...
                      X