• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tunis and now Egypt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should stay out of it anyway, when has Western interference in other countries ever had a positive result? The US and UK engineered a coup to put the Shah back in charge in Iran, then we are surprised they hate us. Would it be the problem it is now if that had not happened?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Nobody has mentioned the Suez canal, which is controlled by Egypt. If a hard-line muslim government takes over they'll probably close it, forcing the supertankers and far-east imports to go the long way round. Which will be a tad inflationary I think (£2/litre petrol anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We should stay out of it anyway, when has Western interference in other countries ever had a positive result? The US and UK engineered a coup to put the Shah back in charge in Iran, then we are surprised they hate us. Would it be the problem it is now if that had not happened?
        I managed to catch a bit of Any Questions tonight and there does seem to be a political will to lean on the Egyptians to ensure that the right party gets in power next.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I managed to catch a bit of Any Questions tonight and there does seem to be a political will to lean on the Egyptians to ensure that the right party gets in power next.
          Oh good. Nice to see us exporting democracy.

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Glad to see the Chinese are free to follow events closely...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Yeah, that worked in Gaza too. But then we just decided not to talk to them - which also worked quite well.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Glad to see the Chinese are free to follow events closely...
                Not just the Chinese, the Egyptian goverment has closed down internet and mobile phone network. I think they will get a change of leader, but everything will carry on as before.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Not just the Chinese, the Egyptian goverment has closed down internet and mobile phone network. I think they will get a change of leader, but everything will carry on as before.
                  Didn't you buy a villa in Egypt?

Comment

I hope it's all sorted soon, I want to book my holiday!
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      It amazed me when I learned that our (then) glorious leader Bliar knew so little about recent history that he was ignorant of the 1950s coup that toppled Mossadeq.

Tosser.
                      +1
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X