• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not so smart bomb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Maybe it's the 'handlers' way of ensuring the carrier doesn't get 'cold feet'?
    Watching Cold Feet on your mobile now that would be a fate worse than death
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      That's what I thought, but then I thought, sod it, it's a great story.
      Great story? This bombed is allegedly part of the group that killed 35 people at Moscow's airport just few days ago - this information only appeared AFTER bombing took place: no doubt special services that failed yet again wanted to have a "great story" to have a laugh at "stupid" bomber in order to divert attention from yet again failure to prevent attack.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        Don't be ridiculous, she got a signal.
        I was with O2 for years and never had a problem... why couldn't they do a cheap HTC Desire like Orange.

I've signed up to (yes you have to) use the T-mobile signal since they've merged, now I get Orange at the front of the house and T-mobile at the back, if it switches you lose the call.

24 months of this.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Why would a suicide bomber use remote detonation? Doesn't make any sense.
          a fallback, unknown to them, in case they bottle out?

Talking about blowing up planes :

This happened just last year, but it certainly deserves to be included in the annals of mathematical legends:

A graduate student (let's call him Saeed) is in the airport standing in a security line. He is coming back from a conference, where he presented some exciting results of his Ph.D. thesis in Algebraic Geometry. One of the people whom he met at his presentation (let's call him Vikram) is also in the line, and they start talking excitedly about the results, and in particular the clever solution to problem X via blowing up eight points on a plane.

They don't notice other travelers slowly backing away from them.

Less than a minute later, the TSA officers descend on the two mathematicians, and take them away. They are thoroughly and intimately searched, and separated for interrogation. For an hour, the interrogation gets nowhere: the mathematicians simply don't know what the interrogators are talking about. What bombs? What plot? What terrorism?

The student finally realizes the problem, pulls out a pre-print of his paper, and proceeds to explain to the interrogators exactly what "blowing up points on a plane" means in Algebraic Geometry.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 29 January 2011, 23:38.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X