• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "guess GDP change in Q1 2011" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1%
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      +0.1%, just enough to avoid a technical recession
      0% (no change) would be enough to achieve that.

Comment

Here are the last four quarters' results, pinched from a reply to a BBC article, so don't blame me if they're wrong

2010 Q1 GDP - 0.3% (revised up from 0.2%)
        2010 Q2 GDP - 1.2% (revised up from 1.1%)
        2010 Q3 GDP - 0.7% (revised down from 0.8%)
        2010 Q4 GDP - -0.5% (yet to be revised)

If you allow for Labour engineering an artificially high value of 1.2% prior to the election, and the snow last winter maybe reducing the Q4 figure by 0.2, it looks like a downward trend, like that U boat in Das Boot diving with the bow planes jammed.

So I'd guess -0.5% again

edit: It was widely expected that the VAT rate rise from 17.5% to 20% at the start of this year would stimulate demand towards the end of last year. So if the result was -0.5%, one assumes there wasn't enough incentive to spend then and presumably even less now it is 20% !
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 25 January 2011, 22:32.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Me, me, me...

Comment

+ 0.009
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X