• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any tips for changing a central heating pump?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    What does SY02 say about liability for water damage?
    I imagine she knew about his bed-wetting when she married him.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
      I had a plumber out three years ago round Christmas time to look at a failed pump. He sucked mightily through his teeth and said they didn't do those pumps anymore and I would probably need a whole new heating system. He said that luckily he had a reconditioned pump from an old system and would fit it for £80 - I was in a tight spot so agreed. It failed about 6 months later.

After that one failed, I went to B&Q and found a replacement one. Bloody loads to choose from on the shelf. I was pissed off that the plumber lied and even more pissed off that I was stupid enough to believe him. Fitted it myself in about an hour - 40 minutes of that was looking for the right tools. Twas easier than fitting memory in a computer. Still working today and better than it ever has been.

Robbing tradesmen. Grrrr!
      Last year the pump failed on ours after getting the radiators flushed. Must say the plumber was really good, recommended a decent new pump, charged us cost for said pump and all in it cost us £70ish .

Though as lightng said, more often than not they'll fleece you every chance you get.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Wouldn't it be good if schools taught practical (useful) things such as fixing a washing machine, car and bike maintenance or fitting a new pump to a central heating system, instead of social studies and whatnot. School might even be worth going to.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Wouldn't it be good if schools taught practical (useful) things such as fixing a washing machine, car and bike maintenance or fitting a new pump to a central heating system, instead of social studies and whatnot. School might even be worth going to.
          Fixing a washing machine impresses the ladies too. Very Real Brownie Points To Be Earned.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            That used to be the job of parents who as time has passed have got lazier at doing DIY and now don't have the skills to pass down. According to this article diy skills could be extinct in 40 years

I'm amazed at how many people buy new appliances when all they needed was a new fuse

Comment

Originally posted by configman View Post
              That used to be the job of parents who as time has passed have got lazier at doing DIY and now don't have the skills to pass down. According to this article diy skills could be extinct in 40 years
              But DIY was only invented about 50 years ago, courtesy of telly.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

We haven't heard from SY01 since yesterday.

How much can go wrong when working on the central heating?

That is, is he merely mopping through to dry the carpets; sitting in the living room looking up at the rafters and wondering why the ceiling came down; or sitting in a mud-filled smoking crater answering difficult questions to a senior fireman?
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

But DIY was only invented about 50 years ago, courtesy of telly.
                  Maybe the term DIY was from telly but for generations people did their own decorating, fixed own cars, changed fuses etc etc. It was only the rich who used tradesman and mechanics.

Comment

We haven't heard from SY01 since yesterday.

How much can go wrong when working on the central heating?

That is, is he merely mopping through to dry the carpets; sitting in the living room looking up at the rafters and wondering why the ceiling came down; or sitting in a mud-filled smoking crater answering difficult questions to a senior fireman?
                    Neither. Toasty warm
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      Last year the pump failed on ours after getting the radiators flushed. Must say the plumber was really good, recommended a decent new pump, charged us cost for said pump and all in it cost us £70ish .

Though as lightng said, more often than not they'll fleece you every chance you get.
                      Keep hold of his number. A good plumber these days is hard to find. That reminds me of a song.

Comment

Working...
                      X