• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uncomfortable experience walking to hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

When I'm out on my own I try to give the impression that I'm paying attention to my surroundings (look around, ..
    Trouble is looking around too much makes one appear nervous and/or lost, or like a rubberneckecking tourist with wads of cach hidden in your belt.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Trouble is looking around too much makes one appear nervous and/or lost, or like a rubberneckecking tourist with wads of cach hidden in your belt.
      Walk like you belong there. <- Piece of advice given to me on my first tour in (London)derry and Belfast.

Comment

I'd always cross the street to the opposite side rather than come up behind a woman in the dark. Good manners innit.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Found myself walking up a quiet road to get to my aparthotel this evening. Heard steps behind me to see a bloke walking behind me about 30 metres away. I stopped a moment to make sure he saw me clocking him then walked to the other side of the street in order to walk past a couple of lasses who came from my hotel. I checked to see if he was still there only to find that he'd disappeared. Since I was actually expecting him to still be there (walking to the hotel too) I was a bit alarmed and still haven't settled.

This is the first time I've felt unsafe in London. The next time I use a hotel sarf of the river I'll get a taxi from the tube station to the door.
          Blimey - next time get a cab!

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Do I look like I've got wads of cash?
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Glad you're Ok CJ, hopefully like the others have said he was a normal bloke.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It is difficult especially around London bridge area not to get a tad antsy in the darkened streets.

As Zippy said, carry yourself with confidence, but getting a cab from the tube to your hotel is probably a good idea.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

What about buying an attack alarm?

Also, saw this on Amazon:
                  TWI FARB GEL SELF PROTECTION DEFENCE SPRAY 100% UK LEGAL: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty
                  Farb Gel will dye the assailants face and clothes for up to SEVEN days no matter how hard they try to wash and remove it. About Farb-Gel-Spray Farb Gel is the 100% legal alternative to Pepper spray.
                  I also did a search for 'skunk spray', but there doesn't appear to be any such product. I gather the smell of the real stuff is much worse than one can even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I'd always cross the street to the opposite side rather than come up behind a woman in the dark. Good manners innit.
                    Even better manners to come up in the privacy of your own home.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Glad you got back safe and sound.

Do you carry an alarm type thingy in your handbag ?

Comment

Working...
                      X