• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The tragedy of plastic surgery deformity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    She is still being effected by the treatment
    Affected Shirley?

C'mon MrC are you letting your standards slip!
    I have always struggled with affect / effect. I wrote 'affected' the first time, convinced myself it was wrong, and changed it.

Pocket Oxford English Dictionary:
    affected adj. 1 pretended, artificial. 2 full of affectation.

effect —n. 1 result or consequence of an action etc. 2 efficacy (had little effect). 3 impression produced on a spectator, hearer, etc. (lights gave a pretty effect; said it just for effect). 4 (in pl.) property. 5 (in pl.) lighting, sound, etc., giving realism to a play, film, etc. 6 physical phenomenon (Doppler effect; greenhouse effect). —v. bring about (a change, cure, etc.).  bring (or carry) into effect accomplish. give effect to make operative. in effect for practical purposes. take effect become operative. to the effect that the gist being that. to that effect having that result or implication. with effect from coming into operation at (a stated time). [Latin: related to *fact]

Usage Effect should not be confused with affect which, as a verb, has more meanings and is more common, but which does not exist as a noun.

I'm no wiser now.

But she has got the most sodding great norks!
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Apparently, she can't afford to have them reduced. She blames it on inflation.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

And this one isn't funny: BBC News - German reality TV star Cora dies after sixth breast op

What a waste.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

A shame. I remember seeing her on Big Brother last year.

Comment

I have always struggled with affect / effect. I wrote 'affected' the first time, convinced myself it was wrong, and changed it.

Pocket Oxford English Dictionary:
            affected adj. 1 pretended, artificial. 2 full of affectation.

effect —n. 1 result or consequence of an action etc. 2 efficacy (had little effect). 3 impression produced on a spectator, hearer, etc. (lights gave a pretty effect; said it just for effect). 4 (in pl.) property. 5 (in pl.) lighting, sound, etc., giving realism to a play, film, etc. 6 physical phenomenon (Doppler effect; greenhouse effect). —v. bring about (a change, cure, etc.).  bring (or carry) into effect accomplish. give effect to make operative. in effect for practical purposes. take effect become operative. to the effect that the gist being that. to that effect having that result or implication. with effect from coming into operation at (a stated time). [Latin: related to *fact]

Usage Effect should not be confused with affect which, as a verb, has more meanings and is more common, but which does not exist as a noun.

I'm no wiser now.

But she has got the most sodding great norks!
            Industrial Light & Magic

Industrial Light and Magic produce special effects.

My mum had an electric fire with a coal effect. I kicked the electric fire and it affected it. Ie it no longer worked
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X