• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Spend the rest on something decent like an extended long haul holiday...
    Already budgeted for
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      How about a Suzuki Swift?
      Can't see anything available locally but I'll keep looking.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Why petrol?
        Cheaper road tax, economy I'm not bothered about, usually better performance with a petrol engine.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

You can't afford a Golf for that budget - but the nearly-new or ex-demo 59/10/60 Polos may just fit the bill.
          Or what about a Seat - I hear they're pretty much the same as a Golf/Polo underneath, as are the Skoda Fabias - but they look awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Cheaper road tax, economy I'm not bothered about, usually better performance with a petrol engine.
            Diesels have lower Co2 therefore cheaper road tax, not much difference with small engines though.

Mazda 6? Lovely motor for the money, I've got the previous model but plan to upgrade soon.
            Last edited by gingerjedi; 6 January 2011, 11:02.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Mazda 6? Lovely motor for the money, I've got the previous model but plan to upgrade soon.
              I second this.
              Sadly the newer models don't have an MPS version otherwise I would upgrade. The Mazda 6 MPS has been my most reliable, fun car ever - and all for peanuts.

For 12K you would get a very good, low mileage, maybe 1-2 year old example, albeit at the bottom of the range, maybe a 1.8 or 2.0 litre - but that should be ample for comfortable, reliable, trouble-free, and dare I say reasonably stylish motoring for many years.
              Last edited by sasguru; 5 January 2011, 23:04.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions off to tour the showrooms today.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions off to tour the showrooms today.
                  WTFIWWY?

Auto Trader UK - Used cars for sale

Comment

Thinking about buying a new car or perhaps something low mileage around 12 months old budget £12k.

Petrol, around 1.6 litre. Any recommendations or anything to avoid?
                    If a 7 year manufacturers warranty means anything, you could buy a nearly new Kia Ceed for about 10K.

Comment

Why get new when you can get a fun vintage car. Like this nice example.

911 Carrera 3.2 Sport Targa For Sale (1985) on Car And Classic UK
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X