• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Not bad. considering the space it has and decent power. Though at 25mpg - it would be expensive to run. Tax exempt however!

I have considered getting a decent BMW 2002 - around £2000 for a decent one.

Wife wants a MG of 1960's vintage so I'm saving up for that.
    Yeah, CM fancies an MG ever since she saw "An MG is born".

Personally I'd like to build an RS Mexico with modern suspension/drivetrain/breaks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Yeah, CM fancies an MG ever since she saw "An MG is born".

Personally I'd like to build an RS Mexico with modern suspension/drivetrain/breaks etc.
      Well don't let her start buying Practical Classics or Classics Monthly - they make it look easy.

Upgrades are a good thing. I'm planning on upgrading the electrics and ignition on mine. Points are just so troublesome.

RS Mexico components seem okay. Though you'd probably want to ditch the leafs in the back.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Well don't let her start buying Practical Classics or Classics Monthly - they make it look easy.

Upgrades are a good thing. I'm planning on upgrading the electrics and ignition on mine. Points are just so troublesome.

RS Mexico components seem okay. Though you'd probably want to ditch the leafs in the back.

I would only need a body shell(original or repro).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Talking about Rover V8s, does anybody recall what happened to the "Wolfrace Sonic"? That had two V8s iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            You can't afford a Golf for that budget - but the nearly-new or ex-demo 59/10/60 Polos may just fit the bill.
            Or what about a Seat - I hear they're pretty much the same as a Golf/Polo underneath, as are the Skoda Fabias - but they look awful.
            Oh yes you can, cheapest dealer supplied 1 yr old golfs are around 10k. Plenty of 1.6 tdis for around 12k and some 60 plates. What car recommend the 1.4 TSi which is out of budget about 16k new or 15k on a 10 plate
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

As an alternative, how about a lease deal? Pick up a well specc'd motor around a year or two old, and stick it on a lease at under 400 a month, and you'll end up paying something similar, assuming you don't expect the 12k motor to be wortyh anything at the end of the 3 years.

As an (extreme) example, I picked up a 2.5 yr old BMW 760 V12 with every concievable gadget 2 yrs ago, 21k miles, 435BHP, which BMW kindly lease me at 400 a month (no deposit). Given that the bloke who bought it new paid £86k, I think I did rather well.

I appreciate that the V12 does not meet the economy requirement, but they do similar deals on other cars. In fact the previous motor was a much more economical 745i, for 275 a month. You get the idea.

A good spec german motor of 2-4 years old will be a lot more satisfying than a year-old 12k motor of any type.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                As an alternative, how about a lease deal? Pick up a well specc'd motor around a year or two old, and stick it on a lease at under 400 a month, and you'll end up paying something similar, assuming you don't expect the 12k motor to be wortyh anything at the end of the 3 years.

As an (extreme) example, I picked up a 2.5 yr old BMW 760 V12 with every concievable gadget 2 yrs ago, 21k miles, 435BHP, which BMW kindly lease me at 400 a month (no deposit). Given that the bloke who bought it new paid £86k, I think I did rather well.

I appreciate that the V12 does not meet the economy requirement, but they do similar deals on other cars. In fact the previous motor was a much more economical 745i, for 275 a month. You get the idea.

A good spec german motor of 2-4 years old will be a lot more satisfying than a year-old 12k motor of any type.
                Hmmm I am interested im this and wish to subscribe to your newsletter - what happens at the end? What mileage are you allowed to do?

Comment

I've never seen a lease deal that is better (cost wise) than buying the car
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Spent the day looking around but no decision yet.

Vauxhall Astra Exclusiv 1.6, 60 plate, delivery miles - £12k

Kia Cee'd Strike 1.4 60 plate, delivery miles - £10.4k

Toyota Auris 1.33 59 plate, 6500 miles - £9k

Back out again tomorrow...
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Buy this and you'll be a very happy chap.

Cars @A47 Thurnby : BMW ALPINA D3 4DR

BMW Alpina D3 | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

Engine: In-line 4-cyl, 1995cc, turbodiesel
                      Max power: 197bhp @ 4000rpm
                      Max torque: 302lb ft @ 2000rpm
                      0 - 60mph: 7.4sec (claimed)
                      Top speed: 145mph (claimed)

48 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                      X