• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its going to get MUCH better under the tories.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'm getting confused, whose turn is it to use the 'Tax Bombshell' billboard posters?
    The Lib Dems.

Oh no, wait a minute...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Why don't Labour enter into coalition with the Conservatives and Liberals?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        No spending cuts, no tax increases. Vote for me.

Ed Milliband
        No spending cuts, no tax increases, just a gilt strike.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Erm perhaps not. 20% VAT rate is here to stay. Apparently.
          A result of labour wrecking the economy. Thank Gordo for this one, Bolshie.

Please re-title all your anti Tory posts as "Another inevitable consequence of Labour's last **** up"

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            A result of labour wrecking the economy. Thank Gordo for this one, Bolshie.

Please re-title all your anti Tory posts as "Another inevitable consequence of Labour's last **** up"
            That's partly true but there's no getting away from the fact it was Labour that lowered VAT and the Tories who put it up.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

That's partly true but there's no getting away from the fact it was Labour that lowered VAT and the Tories who put it up.
              Labour that cut VAT to get votes

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There is also no getting away from the fact that the last two times labour have been in power they have bankrupted the country
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  There is also no getting away from the fact that the last two times labour have been in power they have bankrupted the country
                  WDAS
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Yeah right "Labour wrecked the economy" - and they also wrecked the US, Iceland, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and Greece's economies.

We are so tighly wedded to the Septics that when they tank, so do we. It's true that Labour wrecked the Economy, but the only way not to have done so would have been a radical move away from the basically Thatcherite consensus of leaving things to the bankers. Unlikely to happen. Anything else is just tinkering. Most of the stuff that Labour did would have been done by the Tories. Don't forget the last time VAT went up it was because John Major had wrecked the economy. The idea that one party ruins an economy and another can mend it is old fashioned, dogmatic and frankly thick. All/any party pretends they can fix things but they don't.

Comment

Yes, Labour lower VAT, ostensibly to stimulate the flagging economy. Then they LABOUR put it back up to 17.5%.
                      Remember that business had to bear the cost of this government stunt, i.e. repricing every product in every store across the land. If you speak to people in business, which I do, their view is that the costs they incurred in managing this repricing exercise, only to reverse it again a year later, offset any benefits.

It's interesting to look back,
                      BBC NEWS | Business | Lower VAT rate comes into force

Originally posted by BBC in 2008
                      It is estimated the change will cost the Treasury around £12.5bn and save the average earner around £170 a year.

But retailers say it will cost £300m during the next two years to cover the expense of implementing the change.

Our correspondent said: "But with the budget deficits set to reach £118bn next year, these VAT cuts might prove to be a very expensive gamble."

Comment

Working...
                      X