• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you limit your drinking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking alone or the only one drinking? My wife is pregnant so abstaining, do I have a problem?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

bad sign, you're drinking alone so you're an alcoholic.

...and while your at it cut that "hefty" carbon footprint, turn the heating down, and turn the television off.

You'll feel much better.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        I suppose there are alcoholics who go out drinking every night, I just imagined the majority of them to be lone drinkers reaching for the sauce at 10am.
        Getting drunk in the day time is the danger sign.

I regularly drink alone, because I live alone. I think that says more about my social life than it does about my addiction to alcohol.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          Alcohol is a social drug. Not sure the same is true of heroin.
          Hmmm can't say I agree. A lot of the people seem to get dangerously anti-social when they're bevvied up. People on smack seem to just sit in a corner monged.

I suppose there are alcoholics who go out drinking every night
          Yep

I just imagined the majority of them to be lone drinkers reaching for the sauce at 10am.
          Nope

Comment

I've had some benders in my time, but I am now older and not too keen on feeling drunk. Also I find that fitness levels flag if hitting the bottle too hard, and it's not as easy to recover.

That said I do like a jolly good slurp at the best of times.

Taking January off for balance.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Since moving to the sticks, negotiating trains and tubes whilst three sheets to the wind lost its appeal, and adding the 6am starts, a hangover is not fun.

I tend to stick to couple of ales and leave it at that.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I know a social worker who got down graded for writing a paper saying that heroin is used as a recreational drug by many in the middle classes without risk of addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Getting drunk in the day time is the danger sign.
                  Not if you are under approx. 25 and are doing an all day bender with mates.

I regularly see students in summer after their exam period doing this. Makes me feel bloody old as I use to do it.

However I remember you use to get pass a stage where you weren't that drunk because you were actually pacing yourself to last all day without falling asleep.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some people drink. Some people don't.

Some people drink more than 28 "units" a week, some don't.

Some people get happy while drinking, some people don't.

Some people drink alone, some people don't.

Some people have hangovers, some people don't.

Some people drink in the morning, some in the afternoon, some only in the evening, some all day.

So what am I trying to say?

I've no bloody idea, I'm half cut on Tio Pepe...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Baby Britain feels the best floating over a sea of vodka
                      Separated from the rest
                      Fights problems with bigger problems
                      Sees the ocean fall and rise
                      Counts the waves that somehow didn't hit her
                      Water pouring from her eyes
                      Alcoholic and very bitter
                      Was Churchill not drinking 2 bottles of brandy a day during the war?

Comment

Working...
                      X