• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income splitting looked at again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to find my local garage who are run by a husband and wife and are a limited company use this. In their case the wife runs reception, deals with customers and paper work, while the husband and two employees working on servicing and fixing cars. Now is the wife's contribution of less value than the husband's?
    Indeed, but where the wife is making a contribution there's no question of it being fair and reasonable to split the income. But this is a contractors' forum, not a small business forum, and you can bet that 99% of the people here who are doing this are not husbands/wives who split the running of a business, they're husbands/wives who share the ownership of the husband's business (or the wife's business) to avoid tax.

When the Tory Chancellor put this measure in (can't remember who) around the last recession he admitted there would be some tax avoidance but his aim was to encourage people to start small businesses.
    But why should only married people get this incentive to start a small business? Why doesn't it apply to all people equally? You could cut corporation tax, forget the IR35 nonsense, have exemptions for employers NI, all sorts of things that would encourage people to start a small business. Why is it reasonable and "fair" to only encourage married couples to start a small business?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Tend to agree. Think that point should apply to a lot of things like inheritance too. How come you can't leave to another family member say?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
      X