• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow - a world class airport?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There was no snow dumped on Heathrow yesterday and today apparently, yet most flights still get canned.
    Of course it's all LHRs fault, afterall the aircraft just teleport back from their destination.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I would imagine most airports would be closed after that dump of snow in that short a period.

People like a good moan in this country and the press is always there to wind up the public.
      The issue isn't the runways - it's the taxi ways that are covered in ice, ice where the planes are parked and the fact that planes need their wings de-iced.

Edited to say: It's interesting to watch a plane having it's wings de-iced.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The issue isn't the runways - it's the taxi ways that are covered in ice, ice where the planes are parked and the fact that planes need their wings de-iced.

Edited to say: It's interesting to watch a plane having it's wings de-iced.
        My flight from AMS had to be de-iced twice on Thurs. Once on stand and then again because of a heavy snowfall whilst taxiing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          My flight from AMS had to be de-iced twice on Thurs. Once on stand and then again because of a heavy snowfall whilst taxiing.

Comment

The issue isn't the runways - it's the taxi ways that are covered in ice, ice where the planes are parked
            This is what they said on the news. But given that jet engines don't need to have traction, I don't quite understand what the problem is (and yes a plane can take off on a conveyer belt ).
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There was no snow dumped on Heathrow yesterday and today apparently, yet most flights still get canned.
              South England is not a place that gets snow on a regular, year by year basis. For the airport to be closed for 2 days is a terrible inconvenience to the passengers but it is hardly a sign the country is falling apart.

Last time I was in Da Nang Airport I had to chase a rat trying to get into my bag. I have never had to do that in England. Heathrow may be a bit of a dump but it is next century compared to the many Soviet style Communist airports I have had the displeasure of travelling through.

Comment

The issue isn't the runways - it's the taxi ways that are covered in ice
                There are machines for that - my provincial airport in Siberia had a few of those, surely such an airport like Heathrow should be able to afford them also?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  This is what they said on the news. But given that jet engines don't need to have traction, I don't quite understand what the problem is (and yes a plane can take off on a conveyer belt ).
                  An aircraft needs to reach a certain speed before it's flight surfaces will maintain its directional stability.

At lower speeds it would slide all over the icy taxi ways.

Comment

BBC News - How are airports kept open in cold weather?

Interesting article about airports.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There are machines for that - my provincial airport in Siberia had a few of those, surely such an airport like Heathrow should be able to afford them also?
                      Yeah but this is the UK.

Do you expect a private company to spend money on things like that here?

Comment

Working...
                      X