• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill unleashed!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Churchill unleashed!!!!

Well chaps, I'm in Cambridge, can anyone recommend a good watering hole? Dogs allowed of course!

I can give you comprehensive if slightly out-of-date advice here!

Well you've got the biggest pub in Europe in the shape of The Regal opposite Emmanuel college, a Wetherspoons that used to be a cinema. A fair mix of students and normal people.

North Cambridge has got the Mitre and the Baron of Beef, just north of Magdalene Bridge. They're good.

A bit more central, the Three Tuns on the edge of Parker's Piece was good too.

For real old fellers' boozers, The Free Press and the Cricketers are the main two but I can't remember exactly where they are.

For picking up sporty female students, The Maypole next to the Park Street car park. But that's our little secret!

For riverside boozing, The Anchor or The Mill (south), then the Fort St George (north), then the Pike and Eel (north east).

For a bit of history, The Eagle in the town centre where Watson & Crick announced the discovery of DNA. The Red Cow's good too.

Let me know exactly where you're staying and I'll recommend a local!

tl

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      I can give you comprehensive if slightly out-of-date advice here!

Well you've got the biggest pub in Europe in the shape of The Regal opposite Emmanuel college, a Wetherspoons that used to be a cinema. A fair mix of students and normal people.

North Cambridge has got the Mitre and the Baron of Beef, just north of Magdalene Bridge. They're good.

A bit more central, the Three Tuns on the edge of Parker's Piece was good too.

For real old fellers' boozers, The Free Press and the Cricketers are the main two but I can't remember exactly where they are.

For picking up sporty female students, The Maypole next to the Park Street car park. But that's our little secret!

For riverside boozing, The Anchor or The Mill (south), then the Fort St George (north), then the Pike and Eel (north east).

For a bit of history, The Eagle in the town centre where Watson & Crick announced the discovery of DNA. The Red Cow's good too.

Let me know exactly where you're staying and I'll recommend a local!

tl
      Cheers TL. I'll be working just off the a14 near Bar Hill more of a CB3 post code so not too far from Cambridge itself. Looks like the Cricketers or The Free Press then.

Luckily, my eldest step-daughter lives in Cambridge so any place she doesn't drink must be a good watering hole!

Comment

My favourite was the Zebra, near Jesus college. It did excellent home cooked food and decent beer. The Old Spring was good too. Not far from the Zebra. Basically go North past Magdalene and across the Granta, turn right, carry on and then turn right. Can't remember the name of the road. But someone will know. There's another good one that does food and is on the Granta. It's just a bit South and East of Magdalene college. It might be the Cricketers mentioned earlier but I'm not sure. Be warned that my information has wrinkles and grey hairs and most pubs referred to have probably been demolished to make way for an interstellar bypass. Look out for suicidal cyclists. Oh and a maniac with an American accent in a powered wheelchair. I kid you not.

Comment

nice one. used to play there a lot. eagle is good. fort st george. panton....alma...rought it in the crown & pipes fenstanton along from barhill..

Comment

My wife got stuck in the top of a tree near Cambridge, next to the A10 I think. The Fire Brigade had to come and rescue her.

That doesn't help with pubs though.

Comment

Fungus - could be the Rat and Parrot on the corner of Jesus Green, just at the end of the wooden walkway by the river.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                Fungus - could be the Rat and Parrot on the corner of Jesus Green, just at the end of the wooden walkway by the river.
                Maybe. The place I remember was on the Granta, and had a sort of wooden outdoor seating area by the river. Inside was quite large.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  Well chaps, I'm in Cambridge, can anyone recommend a good watering hole? Dogs allowed of course!
                  I'm in CB3 at the mo and it's a pain in the

Two more weeks and I'm outta here
                  The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Working...
                  X