• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Science quiz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam engines were invented to solve the problem of getting water out of coal mines so that more coal could be mined to feed the steam engines. Pretty soon, all the coal was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Steam engines were invented to solve the problem of getting water out of coal mines so that more coal could be mined to feed the steam engines. Pretty soon, all the coal was gone.
      Bollocks.

Comment

And don't forget the dragons. I remember seeing a Welsh documentary about a train driver called Ivor. He used to have a dragon live in the boiler of his steam engine.

Since steam engines have been phased out there are no more dragons. I would loved to have seen a real one. Shame.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          And don't forget the dragons. I remember seeing a Welsh documentary about a train driver called Ivor. He used to have a dragon live in the boiler of his steam engine.

Since steam engines have been phased out there are no more dragons. I would loved to have seen a real one. Shame.
          She was called Idris.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Bollocks.
            UK coal production peaked almost 100 years ago. Do keep up.

Comment

UK coal production peaked almost 100 years ago. Do keep up.
              Production may have peaked then but coal hasn't run out which was your original comment.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Production may have peaked then but coal hasn't run out which was your original comment.
                Speak for yourself. I haven't got any, been having to use wood.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Come over our place at Christmas. My father-in-law is bringing his.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

As a qualified chemical engineer I shall now embark on a proper explanation of the complex thermodynamics processe involved. No wait, I've forgotten it all. Maybe HyperD is a bit younger.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Condensing engines relied on atmospheric pressure and had horrible (in later steam terms) efficiencies, admittedly in the days of low pressure steam the ability to make good tolerance cylinders, pistons and valves was limited. Sub 10% efficiencies is normal for these engines and the whole engine has to be massive.
                      Steam engines got really effective with double and triple expansion engines that recycled the waste steam from first to second then second to third cylinders, plus of course the engineering and materials had developed a lot. 30-50+% efficiency isn't uncommon for triple expansion.

There are loads of working static engines in museums around the country plus the railway and traction engines of course, interesting to look at if you like engineering.

Comment

Working...
                      X